X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Seahog boats

Hi Everyone
    After a break of 30 years I've decided to get another boat
    Though I'm totally out of touch with whats good and whats not.
    I have the chance of buying a used Seahog boat (5mt) with 50hp Mariner
    plus 5hp seagull aux and all the electronics gizmos Fishfinder,plotter, vhf etc.

My question is
    Is this a suitable outfit for inshore fishing on the NE coast.

Thanks
    Gazza

Les has a trooper, good boats as far as I know
    Regards, Graham

Comment

I had a seajeep and it was a cracking boat, only thing about some of the earlier ones is the gunnels were quite low, but easily fixed by fitting some short rails

good stable little boats, there's plenty of them about up here, would go 7 or 8 miles out in mine with no real worries, with a 50 mariner on the back they fair fly along 24knots with 2 up and all the gear

easy to trailer about, launch and recover too.

have been out when its been quite snotty once or twice and it handled it well - just keep the speed down when its lumpy
      ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
      Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Oblickta View Post
        Les has a trooper, good boats as far as I know
        hey graham....

yes still got my wee trooper just now and it's a great wee boat, i used to have a seahog shortie and it was fine for the east coast as well, just a bit lower gunwales.

used mine off dunbar a lot as well as st.abbs, berwick and luce bay, just be careful with the conditions out there....

Comment

Hallo Les, not seen you for a while .... hows it going
          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
          ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post
            Hallo Les, not seen you for a while .... hows it going
            not bad now norman, only had my boat out once this year at loch etive, not great, but a welcome day during a massive family crisis when my wifes parents both died in the space of 9 days, a hard time all round....

had my usual fortnight in kenya again in january, went very well, best ever.....

have a look...

Watamu, Kenya.... January '08 - World Sea Fishing Forums

hopefully get down for that promised trip this year...

i'll wear my bitch t-shirt....promise.....

Comment

Aye les you keep promising ....... lets give it a try (roll on weather)
              ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
              . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Aye les you keep promising ....... lets give it a try (roll on weather)
                some time in may looks good to me mate...

are you still on the same phone numbers??

Comment

Aye mate still same nee probs we`ll try and get a day out

and back to the thread topic ....... seen some good pics of les trooper ... spot on (are you watching in as well rich) and the "monsters" i`ve seen les with are a wee bit larger than we catch from off they tyne.
                  ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                  . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Aye mate still same nee probs we`ll try and get a day out

and back to the thread topic ....... seen some good pics of les trooper ... spot on (are you watching in as well rich) and the "monsters" i`ve seen les with are a wee bit larger than we catch from off they tyne.
                    taking my two boys skate fishing tomorrow, can't miss this decent forecast....

the oldest has had a few but my wee man is only 12 and seems to think he can handle it.....

we'll see...lol

liam had him practicing today with the trace clipped to the trailer and sean pulling as hard as he could for about 15 minutes, he was buckled after 10....lol

only about 20 minutes short of how long it usually takes

i'll stick some pics up if we get anything...

thread topic....

trooper is a brilliant wee boat, a friend of mine who owns a seajeep couldn't believe how much more spacious and seaworthy it was than his jeep.

think if he'd seen mine before he bought i think he would've bought different.....

high sided, a double edged sword, very safe but drifts in the wind quite badly, i use a drogue a lot in windy conditions..

this gives you an idea of the deck space....

Comment

Good luck, are you off to LA?

I had a 188 (pb) last november, cant wait to get amongst them again but trips will be limited due to funds cos my daughter is getting married in Rhodes in June

happy days
                      Regards, Graham

Comment

Good luck, are you off to LA?

I had a 188 (pb) last november, cant wait to get amongst them again but trips will be limited due to funds cos my daughter is getting married in Rhodes in June

happy days
                        nah graham, i was up at LA last weekend staying with the grey curly one

oban tomorrow, lot shorter drive and more fish

spoke to ian burrett today, he's been doing well since the weather relented and let him get down the firth of lorne, very few fish at lochaline just now

les

Comment

*eeeeeeeeekkkk!!!! @ the grey curly one* NESA has one of the same, have you seen the resemblance?

One of the best days we ever had was on one of ians marks on the firth of lorne

nice to see you on nesa mate and would be great if you'd put a report on here when you get back. have a goodun, wish I was going with ya
                          Regards, Graham

Comment

Thanks for all your great advice lads
                            Sounds like the Seahogs are good boats, but as usual bigger is better.

Gazza

Comment

*eeeeeeeeekkkk!!!! @ the grey curly one* NESA has one of the same, have you seen the resemblance?

One of the best days we ever had was on one of ians marks on the firth of lorne

nice to see you on nesa mate and would be great if you'd put a report on here when you get back. have a goodun, wish I was going with ya
                              hey graham...

well not a lot to report back to you mate....

in fact a bit of a disaster, i've been experimenting running my car on veg oil and up to yesterday no complaints, however, i got a ****load of old stuff from my mate at mcdonalds, gave it to my friend who purifies it and stuck 50 litres in the car on friday night.

got 65 miles up the road and the car zonked....

callled the AA and we ended up draining 60 litres of vileness out my tank and a 30 mile round trip and £90.00 to refuel with fresh diesel.

car was happy with this arrived 4 hours late at oban and because of another boat on the slip with a flat battery didn't drop anchor til 2pm, gave it til 6.15 but apart from a few spurs nothing....

left oban at 7.15 stopped for chips in callender and got home at 10.45, we left at 5am, so an almost 18 hour day for 4 hours fishing, and we reanchored as well, disappointing.....

on the way home the engine management light came on again and cut the power in the car, i pulled over and reset the system like the AA guy showed me and came 100+ miles back down the road without a hiccup, strange, makes me wonder if it was just the management system that didn't like the fuel and not the car.....

ps

don't ask what we did with the 12 gallons of crap out of the tank.....;o)

Comment

Working...
                              X