Boating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boating

OK, after dreaming for years I have my powerboat lvl 2 arranged with VHF to follow. I've also got a reasonable budget so where do I start? Budget dory, fast angling boat or pilot house? I'm a complete novice. Is there any risk going straight for eg a merry fisher or Quicksilver. From a budget point of view is a warrior or raider easier to sell on to upgrade? The boat will be moored at a marina.

Cheers for your thoughts.
    PB Boat Ling 24lb
    PB Cod Boat 17lb
    PB Cod Shore 11lb
    PB Boat Pollack 9.5lb
    PB Mackies 1,000,000

Difficult decision, but if you go for a Warrior etc, i think within a year you will have wished you got a pilothouse type...

Will you be towing or keeping it in a marina is another factor, a pilothouse type might mean a bigger car, depending on what size you go for....

Why not ask the intructor if he will give you tuition in your own boat when you buy it....

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
      OK, after dreaming for years I have my powerboat lvl 2 arranged with VHF to follow. I've also got a reasonable budget so where do I start? Budget dory, fast angling boat or pilot house? I'm a complete novice. Is there any risk going straight for eg a merry fisher or Quicksilver. From a budget point of view is a warrior or raider easier to sell on to upgrade? The boat will be moored at a marina.

Cheers for your thoughts.
      send me a pm

i have a superb boat to sell on behalf of the widow of a friend of mine who passed a month ago

its moored in Sunderland Marina

Comment

Originally posted by The Jester View Post
        Difficult decision, but if you go for a Warrior etc, i think within a year you will have wished you got a pilothouse type...

Will you be towing or keeping it in a marina is another factor, a pilothouse type might mean a bigger car, depending on what size you go for....

Why not ask the intructor if he will give you tuition in your own boat when you buy it....
        It will be Sunderland marina. Why the itch for the pilot house?
        PB Boat Ling 24lb
        PB Cod Boat 17lb
        PB Cod Shore 11lb
        PB Boat Pollack 9.5lb
        PB Mackies 1,000,000

Comment

Ok, so I'm the proud owner of a Shetland 535 with a yam 50 4 stroke on the back of it.

Many thanks to Kartonkel for showing me the way with it!!

I'm kinda nervous but super excited at the same time. So, if you see someone splashing about in a little Shetland boat at Sunderland, please feel free to give me some pointers.

RYA Powerboat course next weekend
          Last edited by Jimbob; 09-08-2014, 09:20 PM.
          PB Boat Ling 24lb
          PB Cod Boat 17lb
          PB Cod Shore 11lb
          PB Boat Pollack 9.5lb
          PB Mackies 1,000,000

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
            Ok, so I'm the proud owner of a Shetland 535 with a yam 50 4 stroke on the back of it.

Many thanks to Kartonkel for showing me the way with it!!

I'm kinda nervous but super excited at the same time. So, if you see someone splashing about in a little Shetland boat at Sunderland, please feel free to give me some pointers.

RYA Powerboat course next weekend
            excellent result enjoy
            AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Hi jimbob

Good luck and enjoy the freedom fishing from your own boat, great to be on a mooring, last minute trips a doddle and often the most enjoyable, I'm sure you will find your way and kartonkel knows his stuff, I am in Sunderland as well, happy to pass on any info or help if needed. No doubt will see you out there at some point.

Cheers Dave

Comment

at least you are doing it the right way with courses, many just buy a boat amd off they go, enjoy your fishing and only bit of advice I would give is take somebody with you who knows the ropes the first few times
                Alan

Comment

good result, get plenty of practice manoeuvring into your berth etc, it isn't as easy as the old salts make it look.
                  •Secretary not permanent fixture until screwed on top of desk
                  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
                  :man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day

PB COD 22LB (BOAT) Grafter h'pool
                  LING 21LB (BOAT) Esmeralda h'pool
                  CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
                  THORNBACK RAY 13LB (BOAT) ULLAPOOL
                  COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
                  CARP 30LB CANADA
                  PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

Originally posted by alcaucin View Post
                    good result, get plenty of practice manoeuvring into your berth etc, it isn't as easy as the old salts make it look.
                    Never a truer word spoken. Just getting the hang of that.
                    PB Boat Ling 24lb
                    PB Cod Boat 17lb
                    PB Cod Shore 11lb
                    PB Boat Pollack 9.5lb
                    PB Mackies 1,000,000

Comment

I wish I was
                      •Secretary not permanent fixture until screwed on top of desk
                      Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
                      :man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day

PB COD 22LB (BOAT) Grafter h'pool
                      LING 21LB (BOAT) Esmeralda h'pool
                      CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
                      THORNBACK RAY 13LB (BOAT) ULLAPOOL
                      COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
                      CARP 30LB CANADA
                      PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

Working...
                      X