Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed

As per the title need some advice.

Had a run off yesterday in my mate's boat and fished a few wrecks in and around the Seaham area.
    Every drop Mackeral and I mean every drop. Don't get me wrong I love fishing for Mackeral on a very light rod and 6lb line but to be honest I was sick to death of the buggers yesterday, there must be millions out there.
    I tried allsorts Daylights, Cod Feathers, Shads it didn't seem to matter what I put on the end the Mackeral would hit long before I reached the bottom.
    So from you regular boat men out there are there any suggestions I could try to get through these shoals the next time I go out?

Thanks for any replies.

I know how you feel, set the drift up for the wreck and everythings looking good, but then you can't get down to the wreck for macky lol.

Sometimes putting chunks of mackeral on each hook stops them getting hooked up, but not always.

You could try using a single shad that usually means you can get to the bottom.

Also try fishing with a single lure above a pirk, a little less likely to attract macky than a string full of lures.

Also means your not gonna get a string full of cod aswell tho, but at least you may get down to the wreck and maybe pluck a monster off it.

Comment

well said codfather ..........

agree with that, the main thing to get through the mackerEl is to use less hooks and bait them fully. Mackerel feed by sight and anything flashy will attract them if you have a bait only hook you stand a better chance af getting through, or a big lure like a muppet which generally will not attract a mackerel.
      the NO NO is a string of daylights or fearthers or even hokkais, even fully baited may well get hit. Go for single or double hooks.

hope this helps

Norm
      ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
      . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
      ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

The guys above have said it all. Avoid flashy daylights etc. One other thing. The faster you drop the better the chance of getting to the bottom un-mackereled. Use an extra ounce or two of lead if you can. Try and keep your end gear streamlined. Try and freespool down as far as possible to the bottom instead of having your thumb on the spool (multiplier). Watch you don't get a birdsnest on freespool if you use mono. In saying all of this, somedays you just can't avoid them.

Comment

Avoid silver hooks as well if you can, use the bronze ones.
          Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Cheers Lads
            great advice as usual and I'll certainly remember it all.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Comment

Would it not be possible to do something with pva bags - wrapping your gear up in them or such like?
              "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
              Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

Working...
              X