X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK OK have a go if you don`t believe

EDIT ----- Please see the date this was posted, its an old thread -----

Was going to post this in catch reports but not a catch really
    Ok so if you dont believe me then theres nowt I can do .. but .......
    spotted today about 4 miles east of the Tyne (in a roaring westerly wind) passing the boat at about only 12ft was a rather large and raggy dorsal fin about 10 inches or so above the surface and about same (10 inches) .....(250mm for the young uns or 25cm for the untechnical) from front to back ........ closer look seen a tailfin kick about 5 to 6 foot behind it. Not being en expert (or in any way any idea) of what I (we, as I did have a witness) had seen i called my resident aqua expert (bert) who confirmed that porbeagle sharks had been known to pass this way at times ............. well there ya go , a new one on me .... all 5 - 6 foot of it. Is this the right size for this type of shark?

[Edited on 13/3/2005 by Norman]
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

norman
    one of my mates was on a boat out of hartlepool last week when one of the lads had a 4lb cod bit in half by a porbeagle when trying to lift over the gunwhale. ALso know a bloke who hooked one just under the boat last summer and lost all his gear in it jigger and all.
    So i believe you.
    give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

also my mate who owns spotty dog was talking to a couple of lads from leeds who have been catching thornbacks off skinninggrove. Funny how things change.
      give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

I posted a while ago about ,i think it was geronimo,going after blues off h/pool but there was no feedback so i assumed he was taking the mick.it does\'nt seem so now.

Comment

I\'ll go for that, about 25yrs ago I/We were spinning for maccys off Blyth West Pier,that was in the old days when the gate was on the bend the pier was crawling with kids (as we were at the time) and all of a sudden every one started running down from the bend,yelling shark.. Now this was just as Jaws was the big film of the year, what a load of bo££ox we said to each other, it was\'nt when it swam past us ,, all the kids were trying to foulhook it , with their 6ft rods and 10lb line, It could have been a dolphin, but my mate Paul Brown (bit of a clever lad) pointed out that dolphin\'s tails are horizontal not vertical,, so it was a shark of somesort,we presumed a porbegle \'cos they like the colder water??? I also believe that the world rod caught one was caught in /or off S.W Scotland or N.E N Ireland kind of the same area.. although Im not to sure but some one will correct me if Im wrong,,, shame you didnt catch it ,,, That would have made some interesting reading in the local fishing reports ,, prehaps someone might try to catch it this weekend ,, or the council might get in rentakill in as its a danger to our bathers (NOT) ,,,, Thers one T.C that midweek trip that was washed or waved out could be rearranged for B.H Monday, at least the pigs liver would work im sure one of the local tackle shops could put up a prize for its capture. We dont have the sharking barrels they have in the u.s.a. Im sure I can get my hands or Willywetegg can ona few empty kegs of John Smiths im sure they will do the trickThe lot of us could also go out in Normans boat ,get totally ratted start singing \'\'show me the way to go home\'\' and then It could eat his boat, have a few of us for supper,then T.C spots his last can of well shaken up Beer is just about to be eaten by the shark (not having this) he chucks his last 10oz orange pirk at the can, the can explodes and blows the shark into a million bits,,,, thus saving himself and forsaking his last can .. what a hero, there will be books written about it, even a film N.E.S.A (North East Shark Angling) IM sure we are on a winner here, then again Im sure this rings a bell or two!!!! ...... Norm it\'s a shame you did\'nt have a camera on you,,, one of these dasy im going to get one of these didgy ones cos its amazing what you can come accross just fishing the beach, an unusuall fish or just a daft moment or in your case a canny sized shark good luck this B.H monday if you\'s go out for it ,but just take the photograph and put it back.. I would hate to see the look on T.C\'s face if it ate his last can .. cheers Tich (aka Peter Blentchey)
          Tich

Comment

LMAO Tich.

Jim.
            Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

Well spotted Norman and friends,
              tich your fingers must be sore after all that lol
              Cheers Alan...

Comment

\"I would hate to see the look on T.C\'s face if it ate his last can\"

It would just HAVE to DIE, then, Tich... .......lol

I\'ve heard about Porbeagles been seen off out coast.....wasn\'t there one caught a couple of years ago....ended up in a North Shields fishmongers window, or something ????

Comment

norman,

my money would be on either a small basking shark, or too much of the newkie broon

as far as my limited experience goes i don\'t think swimming on the surface with the fin out is a trait of porbeagles, but it definitely is a basking shark one.

every porgie i have seen caught or hooked up just either appears chasing a hooked fish or just grabs a bait out of the blue and takes off for the horizon at a hundred mile an hour, or it seems like it when you look at a rapidly diminishing supply of line on your reel.

les

Comment

I`ve absolutly no Idea les, just know there was a dorsl fin a tail fin behind it and is moved past us fairly slowly then vanished (all in all only seen it for about 4 secs myself, crew mate maybe a few seconds longer as it was he who alerted me)
                    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

This one does seem to be cruising along just beneath the surface, as Norman describes.........

http://www.njscuba.net/img-uw/sharks/porbeagle.jpg

Comment

crikey tony, if that`s what was below then i`m glad I didn`t see the rest of it ................... it was seriously big.
                        ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                        . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

You could\'ve ended up with something like this, Norman........

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/djpthurso/images/porgie.gif

:P :P :P

Comment

Kenny was saying he\'s seen a few landed on the trawlers, he reckons they fetch £1 per pound, should of got the Harpoon out Norman
                            Cheers, Keith.

Comment

nice to see something different.please dont turn everything into £/pound

Comment

Working...
                              X