OK OK have a go if you don`t believe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tony m8,

i kid you not, i hooked a bigger porgie than that one at scrabster about 10 years ago, the skipper said it was the biggest one he had seen and the first one to jump out the water (they don\'t jump...normally) so we got a clear look at it.

needless to say it destroyed me after about 10 minutes but the skippers estimate was 450-500lb, this was before the guy got the 507lb world record

almost as scary as this

the jaws from my mate tonys 60lb barracuda

Comment

Norman I may have found the culprits!

Comment

Flippin \' \'eck, Les...........That IS scary

I thought Ling were bad enough........wouldn\'t fancy trying to unhook that beastie.........lol

Comment

Always get reports of porgies getting caught in late summer-Autum time ......... the Porbeagle or Mackerel shark follow sholes of mackerel up the north sea some get tangled in salmon drift nets.....a few year ago one caused havoc with the resedent salmon fisherman off the bogs on the south pier it ripped all his nets to shreds then fooked off just as quick
          My mate caught two in his wreck net one was 500lb and the other smaller ............so there out there esp this time of year.
          So be afraid........................... \"BE VERY AFRAID\"
          Always thought about giving it a try and be the first off here !!
          even got my mate \"ALAN THE BUTCHER\" to knock me up a bag of blood and offall and lots af bran etc ....but my old man used it on a sharking day when i was away...... never stuck it out long enough to send a decent chum trail out.......... but never mind
          Going to keep a rod and shark trace on board from now on big 14/0 sea demon hooks wire trace baloons etc...Oh yes a gas bottle and a shot gun with one bullet in it............... lol
          One day it will happen ..... to start the ball rolling
          WOOPYAFOOKA
          BERT
          Cheers Bert

Comment

LOL , just understood the barrell bit from keith ..........
            have to stock up on balloons now as well as bait .....
            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Better not tell mark he will play chicken with anything, no dout he will go diving looking for a one on one with the beast

Comment

There was a Porgie caught in the salmon nets off Boulmer about 20 yrs ago. I think you\'d be surprised by whats out there.
                "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

i believe m8

i have heard of them in nets at this time of year also of our coast
                  so theres no reason why they wont travel a few more miles north .

get ya wire traces out...:O)

apparently there is big tunny out there still too

ya just never know whats in our seas.

macky
                  holderness coast

Comment

lots of articles in the local rags upon the west coast last week about a great white that has been seen cruising around skye. 2 divers (one a marine biologist which adds some credance to the story) were in the water and saw a big shark above and a sshort distance away. they thought it was a basking shark so must of thought \"big friendly plankton eating thing, lets go saw hello\" they apparently swan up to it and when close too realised what it was. The quote in the paper was priceless. \" we realised it was a great white once we were within a few metres of it, estimating its length at between 15 and 20 feet, we though it would be best to swim away from it in the opposite direction and get back in the boat\" no **** sherlock! apparently it circled the boat for a bit then went looking for ice creams (ok I made the last bit up, a homage to the pathetic sharks of the glory days of \"Viz\")

there have been a few sightings of it around the north and west coasts of sky over the summer.

Whilst we are on the subject, we didn\'t get to see it, although we looked all over, there is a humpback whale currently cruising the Sound of Sleet. Cracking photo of it taken from the Skye ferry, estimated at 30 metres long! (Note to self: must buy a bigger landing net)

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
                    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Sounds like you had a great time Mark.

Jim.
                      Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

Sounds like you had a great time Mark.

Jim.
                        Fab.

week since I got back has kinda make it feel like I was never away.

Will post some pics shortly
                        ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
                        Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Yes I know how you feel mate I\"ve been back almost two weeks, or was it last years holiday I\"m thinking of lol.

Jim.
                          Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

I see you\'ve made headlines with this one Norman, Well a piece written about it in the Sunday Sun by Alan anyway .

There will be a rush in party shops for balloons now.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/0200sport/angling/page.cfm?objectid=14607461&method=full&siteid=5008 1

Richy, Already tried that one mate . Was diving with them over in Egypt in July, Mind you they were only little ones, 3 - 4 foot, still a bit frightening though.

[Edited on 5/9/2004 by Marc]

Comment

Just refreshing my memory and bringing this back to the top since it may be topical
                              ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                              . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                              ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X