whats the cod taking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the cod taking

hi what are the cod taken ive seen the posts on hear with pics and we can only dream about them.we are useing pink baited hokki with bit of mackeral still not getting out how far out do you need to go to get them.we got about 7 mackeral just off from the heugh last night so there getting close

Taken everything, last two days had them on pirks, jigheads, leadheads, baited rigs, daylights baited and unbaited.

Best method for me has been leadheads or baited daylights.

Just a case of finding them as they seem to be all are nothing.
    ................__................................ .............................
    ____[ ~ \_____
    [__On-A-Roll__/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    P.B
    SKATE 204lb
    COD 51lb
    LING 32lb
    TOPE 40lb
    CONGER 25lb
    HADDOCK 10lb
    HALIBUT 37lb
    COALIE 16lb
    BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Out with richy the day an the cod a took were all on orange royds baited with squid

Comment

Had a great day on my mates boat out of whitby. I caught a shedfull of cod to 10lb on shads and bait (squid and fresh mackerel) he caught as many as i did on jigger and muppets.

Comment

Any lure with a strip of squid on seems to work for me lately , I had a fixation with orange /black curly tails which were doing well , but switching to pink or green hokkais caught just as many fish , baited with squid always.
          Worms are good too , but much harder to keep than squid so I don't bother with them any more , I've had a couple on sidewinders , probably could catch a lot more on them but baited lures works so I don't try much else till I've caught a few then start experimenting.
          I think if you find where they are they take just about anything?

Ray

Comment

cod

were the cod over a wreck and how far out r yous going

Comment

Best cod taken over the wrecks,out monday with richie about 9 mile furthest,wrecks about 4 to 5 mile doing ok

Comment

Originally posted by codhead26 View Post
                were the cod over a wreck and how far out r yous going
                Up at Amble there are plenty cod just a mile or so off shore on the hard ground , cresswell skeres and northern hill are both producing fish , the wrecks a few miles out are starting to show promise too , it really is just a case of finding where they are on the day you are out after them

Ray

Comment

cod

does anybody know of any wrecks close in around hartlepool i havent got chart plotter yet to mark them on thanks

Comment

key point isn't always what bait they're taking coz a lot of the time if they're feeding they'll have anything that passes their nose - but you also have to keep the lead hard on the bottom...was chatting to a bloke at the marina who was saying he kept losing his leads and traces all the time so to counteract that he reeled in a few feet to prevent tackle loss, funnily enough he also caught nowt
                    Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                    I AGREE

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Wallsendo View Post
                      key point isn't always what bait they're taking coz a lot of the time if they're feeding they'll have anything that passes their nose - but you also have to keep the lead hard on the bottom...was chatting to a bloke at the marina who was saying he kept losing his leads and traces all the time so to counteract that he reeled in a few feet to prevent tackle loss, funnily enough he also caught nowt

With you on the hard on the bottom just gotta watch it like a thief stay in touch all the time.
                      Ivan

Fishing is eternal optimism!!!

Comment

i always like to feel my lead hitting the bottom or whatevers there wrecks etc just gives you the depth in ya own way ya lead isnt hitting nowt yup theres a gulley or sommit or deeper part get it in there
                        Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Originally posted by codhead26 View Post
                          does anybody know of any wrecks close in around hartlepool i havent got chart plotter yet to mark them on thanks
                          You will struggle to fish a wreck without a chartplotter , you need one to find the wreck and then to set your drift over it. If you are fishing without a plotter stick to the hard ground , find some nice drop offs on your sounder and if there are any pot buoys around take note of where they are when you hit fish so you can fish the same place again.
                          The lads are right about being hard on the bottom as well , I put about 1ft of 15lb bs line between my lead and my rig , the lead hits the bottom and stays there , I lift it up a foot and drop it back down till it hits with a bump , hold it there as long as I dare then lift it off again and drop it back down with a bump again. If it dosn't bump , release some more line till it does .
                          Lots of lead lost like this , but I had a lad with me one day who couldn't hold bottom through using mono where I was using braid , I got loads of bites and fish , he got nothing at all.
                          No need to rip the lures up and down like a yo yo either , I get more takes when the bait is still than I do when it's moving( unless I'm fishing a sidewinder)

Ray

Comment

whats a sidewinder [i.m a novice when it comes to boat fishing]

Comment

Originally posted by paulthespark View Post
                              whats a sidewinder [i.m a novice when it comes to boat fishing]
                              A rubber lure to imitate a fish , I'm not far behind you in the novice stakes when it comes to boat sea angling , but I've fished all my life for one thing or another , once I've located them I can catch them ok , it's locating them in about 50 square miles of sea that was the problem , but I'm getting there
                              thanks to a lot of advice from this forum.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X