Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reel Advice!!!!

Afternoon,

Anyone got any ideas on a good lightweight multiplier suitable for my12-20Lb class braid rod. I have been looking on e bay at abu 6600 lever drags as I would want lever drag and level wind as a must, they seem just the job but I think abu have stopped making them and when they do come up secondhand they go for a bomb. It just seems to me that there is a huge shortage of 6500 size lever drag reels by any tackle maker unless you want to pay over two hundred quid! Any ideas will be greatly welcomed. I am home next week and off fishing hopefuly so I hope the lift has dropped off by then.

Graham

I've been looking at small lever drag reels as well - Shimano TLD 5 or 10s go for about £50+ when they come around and like you say the ABU lever drags also go for daft money (I think it's the pike/game anglers that go for them)

I'll keep looking tho...
    Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

Comment

Well, I'm one of those guys who gets out on a boat once every 3-5yrs, but I found jiust getting a couple of old cheap Mitchell reels and loading the full then taking a spare spool of line did the job. Braid seems to be the way now and people are still singing the praise of the old Scarborough - which I have admit saved me sitting doing nothing on one trip when I emptied both reels and the spare spool when I was loaned a Scarborough loaded with the stuff.

Comment

Is there a reason it has to be a lever drag reel?

Comment

Unless you're fishing for big game a lever drag is no real advantage.

Difficult to one with both lever drag and level wind, avet sx has the lever drag but no level wind and the Daiwa Saltist 20 has the level wind but uses a star drag.

Comment

The reason for the lever drag is that most of the fishing we do on our boat is on the drift. Couple a fast drift and getting snagged and I found trying to get some slack on the reel to release the clutch impossible so switched to lever drag reels which means no matter how much pressure on the spool you can disengage it and let line off and prevent the rod hooping over and banging on the gunnel with the risk of snapping it, cutting your fingers on the braid or losing a lot of braid, all of which used to happen to me regularly! Since moving to lever drag reels I couldn't go back to normal star drag reels,for drifitng boat fishing any way.

Graham.

Comment

there's this on flea bay

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur BG 7000 NLD Multiplier RRP-£120 on eBay, also Reels, Sea Fishing, Fishing, Sporting Goods (end time 14-Jun-09 20:12:25 BST)

...I just bumped the price up with a bid - sorry
              Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
              I AGREE

Comment

Take look at the okuma x 250 nitryx its bout 5500----6000 and size and for £25 its not a bad reel . Its 5 .1. 1 retrieve 5 ball bearings, and has 6 brake blocks and are easily removed also has left hand model and for my price range and the type of flattie bashing ,spinning it does me got mine from reelsport south shields

Comment

Like Graham says, I couldn`t think of going back to star drag. lever drag is oh so simple and infinately adjustable.
                  To be fair when looking (even not wanting to buy) unless its lever then I dont give a second thought ........
                  ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                  . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                  ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

I use shimano charter special 2000, its got lever drag and level wind, cracking reel cost around £80 from Gerrys, its had some stick and copes really well.
                    Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X