Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alcaucin View Post
    heres what I mean
    they're antique, used to be on a lot for rods many tides ago. that was when it was Scarboros and Alveys, then the likes of the Penn squidders, Mitchels and the infamous SEASTREAKS came along, they were intrepid.

i had a Abu 535 when i was a youngun, i think that had one on.
    First ring for a multi will be a #20 or #16 then #12, 10.........

for FS #25 then #16, 12........

Depends on the reel size, rod length and how far down the butt the reel seat is, probably 12" up from the butt, as i fish low reels seats,
    That way i have all of the rod in front, nowt between the legs or past your elbow, if you know what i mean.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1n View Post
      Arthur is spot on about using the rod to lift the fish and then wind in the line. I’ve done that with small fixed spool reels landing big salmon; if they can manage that with a fish in a flowing river then pumping a fish up from the depths in open water shouldn’t be a problem.

On the deeper wrecks I wouldn’t be without a good lever drag reel, but for the smaller fish inshore, I’ve swapped to a baitrunner fixed spool reel last year. And don’t like it! Contrary of what? It’s nowhere near as smooth as a multi so this year I’m going to try an abu 6500 and 7000 reel. I might even try the 2000 sized FS for spinning and shadding over the rough ground in less than 80ft of water.

The Chinese braid feels very rough on my FS reel unlike Fireline or the thinner Whiplash so it’s worth considering lines too –not much of a problem for you if you’re going to fish with mono.

Kev
      if i go fixed spool its at anchor in the depths mentioned, wouldn't be without my multipliers on the wrecks.

Braid, i have used Berkely Powerpro at 1500yds spools at a time from the states (bit pricey now), ever since i have used braid.

I find it good for me. It lasts ages, doesn't open up, this 4 strand PE, although i did buy a spool of spectra from china, thats still in the wrapper.
      but thats for the wrecks only, mono goes on when at anchor, multi or FS.

cheers

Paul

Comment

sure are, but served a purpose, wonder if anyone has thought of a more modern design that would suit todays reels. But rods are cheap by comparison and much better value today. Probably no need for them. I started with a surf cast reel before getting a penn squidder from Embassy fag vouchers and then a seastreak followed by Abu 7000 and abu atlantic zoom I still have all except the surfcast
        •Secretary not permanent fixture until screwed on top of desk
        Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
        :man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day

PB COD 22LB (BOAT) Grafter h'pool
        LING 21LB (BOAT) Esmeralda h'pool
        CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
        THORNBACK RAY 13LB (BOAT) ULLAPOOL
        COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
        CARP 30LB CANADA
        PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

Yes Paul, bit of a dilemma for you. I can only say that fishing in the depths of water you are referring to, you will be just letting the line run off the spool with just the weight of the lead and bait taking line off at a reasonable speed, i don't foresee any bunching problems in a rod ringed for a multiplier, with mono, and certainly not for braid. One other point, using mono, go for a limp line, as it won't spring off the spool as much.
          whatever you decide to do, good luck.
          Last edited by canman; 29-01-2015, 08:25 PM.
          P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Working...
          X