Mixed Grill in Sunderland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Grill in Sunderland

First fishing trip in 2015....photos to follow (cant do that on this Computer)

The expectations were not high...
    the common opinion is that all fish are at some sort of offshore orgy...mating, spawning etc...

Also no catch reports anywhere to be seen...

well...we ventured out at 10 am, Ash and myself, willing to give the wrecks a go.

Wreck 1: Ravensbourne. Wind SW, Drift 70-80 deg and 0.5 knots, water colour green but visibility seems 5m+
    To our surprise there was a huge shadow cloud of bait visible, which I believe were prawns. The drift was not good for that wreck and after 2 fruitless drifts we moved further offshore

wreck 2: Trident: Wind SSW fresh, Drift 70, later 20 deg at 0.5kn (later up to 1kn): I tried mackerel strip on a single hook and bangbangbang, a cod a drift. Those were nice cod and a few over 5lb. They did not look as fat as in summer but beautiful wreck cods. A couple were bitten on the way up! Wonder what was big enough to bite them.

Wreck 3: Zeeland: Now 7 miles out, the water clarity was good and the drift direction almost North, which is very good. The wind unfortunately was picking up at a guessed SSW 15kn. We tried Shads and again had loads of takes. We caught cod, whiting, a ling and to my delight a nice hard fighting large pollock of around 6 1/2 lb.

We persevered longer but the drift was getting silly with the freshening wind.

We went back to the marina after 3 hours fishing with red noses by the cold, red cheeks by the excitement of an unexpected good catch. The box was filled with a mix grill of cod, ling, pollack and we went straight into the Snow Goose Cafe and had Coffee and toast. MARVELLOUS

Summary: Glad that nobody told the fish that they are not supposed to be on the wrecks at this time of the year.

MetOffice predicted 5-8knots wind---my arse ! It was rough out there at 7 miles

Glad that the boat gave me no trouble at all on the first day of hopefully a good season 2015
    Last edited by Guest; 13-02-2015, 02:01 PM.

PB SHORE COD 9LB 14oz seaton sluice 3/11/12
    PB BOAT COD 9lb 15oz
    PB COALIE 9lb 8oz
    PB LING 7lb 8oz

Comment

Nice one lads, great catch along with a great report, maybe this is gonna be a good season if this is anything to go by .... thanks

norm
      ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
      . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
      ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

excellent, pity about the wind but a very satisfying few hours. Got my appetite back now. well done
        •Secretary not permanent fixture until screwed on top of desk
        Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
        :man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day

PB COD 22LB (BOAT) Grafter h'pool
        LING 21LB (BOAT) Esmeralda h'pool
        CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
        THORNBACK RAY 13LB (BOAT) ULLAPOOL
        COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
        CARP 30LB CANADA
        PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

Nice one Norbert!
          2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Mixed Grill

Nice detailed and informative report Norbert and some quality fish.
            Good to note that the fish are there ready for the season start.
            Well done
            John S

Comment

That’s a good start to the season Norbert. The early pollock showing up over the last few years are interesting.

Comment

Great report and very informative . the wrecks mostly have pollock on them during winter months .. good to see it may be about to kick off .when you say a fish a drift what was your total take home tally because at times it sounded none stop
                Cheers Bert

Comment

What a cracking start to 2015. Great yous got out and scored, nice one lads.
                  P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Working...
                  X