Taking “Wor Lass” out for Valentine’s Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking “Wor Lass” out for Valentine’s Day

It was time to treat her to a pampering starting with a wash and rub-down then wax her bits for a smooth finish.

Out she came yesterday and a quick jet-wash left her with a clean bottom. The antifoul was still in good condition since it was last painted on 18 months ago.

During the last lift-out I sprayed the prop with a full tin of Trilux which has worked well keeping the prop clean. A short blast with the wire brush in a drill cleaned it back to bright metal easier than in previous years.

Prop cleaned and patches of hull antifoul primer applied.

There’s not much room under the boat and the new Cruiser Uno EU recipe antifoul is thinner than the original that has worked so well for me. Consequently, it dripped a lot and I now have blue measles. Another mistake was to sit up, under a freshly painted hull – I wonder if antifoul keeps dandruff away?
    Usually, one tin is enough to do the hull, but was not quite enough this time, I must have dripped too much.The last drops of paint ran out at 2 minutes to five, just as Storrar Marine shop were due to close. Kindly, they stayed open for a little longer so I could call in for another tin – well done Storrar’s, now I can finish the job tomorrow.

Tomorrow will involve some polishing and waxing, and antifouling the rudder, ready for lifting back in to the marina fighting fit for another season. Not long to go now.

Great stuff Kevin, we got slinky booked for a few weeks time (onset of age requires slightly warmer times to anti foul lol)
    Got a booking for after Easter so all top sides and servicing will be done before that and a traditional Easter fish at St Mary's is on the cards before the lift out.

See you out there soon

Norm

Ps did I read correct "paint the prop" ..... ?????
    Last edited by Norman; 14-02-2015, 10:27 PM.
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post
      Ps did I read correct "paint the prop" ..... ?????
      Yes, sorry to offend you.

It's still left very smooth with a thin layer of hard antifoul paint. I figure that the polished prop will be good to start with but seems to quickly pick up slime and some barnacles which will spoil its hydrodynamics in the longer term. What do you think, is the Slinky prop OK after a full season? It always looks in good condition after you've cleaned it so I'm still in two minds.

Don’t tell Tony, but I’ve just bought a polisher which is proving much easier than doing the work by hand…
      Tony, you’re welcome to borrow it.

I was going to wait until the lock is closed before lifting out until I saw that there will be no lifts available then. A decent forecast and promise of a 15% discount in Feb swung the last minute decision on Friday morning.

Easter isn’t too far away now and fingers crossed we’ll all be out enjoying good fishing with the sun shining on flat seas. See you out there.

Comment

Looking good Kev, you will have her looking gleaming for the new season pal.

Comment

ah!!!! starting to arise from winter slumbers

the process of putting life into their boats,and also boats into their lives!!!!

the prop looks good kev1n 4 bladed seems to be getting more popular.

martin with al=shareq out of amble has put a 5 bladed one on a vessel he is working on
          AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Originally posted by lingking View Post
            ah!!!! starting to arise from winter slumbers

the process of putting life into their boats,and also boats into their lives!!!!

the prop looks good kev1n 4 bladed seems to be getting more popular.

martin with al=shareq out of amble has put a 5 bladed one on a vessel he is working on
            4 blades has always been better than 3 dunc.
            Better performance,economy,quieter,more bite in the water in rough weather keeping the boat on the plan at low speeds to name at few.you'll find 5 blades are better again,some of the designs of propellors now are like a sickle shape to the blade tips.

Comment

That's another job done kev1n. Another little rise of temperature and the quays will be buzzing with people scaping, buffing, polishing Seems there are fish out there just waiting.
              P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

I'll certainly be happy to take a lend of anything that makes my life easier Kev

Not long now, seems to have been a long winter
                Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                I AGREE

Comment

Working...
                X