Oban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oban

Sometime ago I booked a trip to Oban with a few friends who are not that interested in Fishing at all, anyway to cut a long story short we ended up cancelling due to people dropping out.

I was wondering if anyone would be up for a few days sometime in the Spring 2004.

The boat we booked has space for 12 and the skipper can arrange accomodation. If people are interested we could fill a few cars and have a canny weekend fishing. I suggest mid March.

Once I see what responce there is I will make a few calls and give an indication as to the cost

Cheers

Conny

hi conny, if you haven\'t booked yet and there is a choice of dates, go for the smallest tides you can get, theres not a lot of tide, but, the water is very deep.

its not a lot of fun fishing in 500 feet with 5lb of lead on.

also make your trip for a maximum of 8 rods, 12 helps the costs but there isn\'t loads of skate and the norm is usually 2-3 fish per trip with the odd exception, you want to maximise your chance of a fish with less people on board.

i\'m up tomorrow with my mate tony for 2 days at it with my dinghy, weather permitting....wish me luck....i need it, having a jonah boat and all.

les

Comment

Les can you catch skate all year round?
      There\'s a few of us going up next summer for a go at the skate and general shore fishing, lost a monster conger this year at the fish dock.
      Also whats the prospect of a bit of shark fishing?

Comment

hi dave,

i\'m not an expert...yet...lol

the skate are there 12 months, not sure if there is a peak time, i have had them in snow in february and 85 degrees in august, the water is so deep i don\'t think things like temp and light levels matters, the only thing about season is the winter and spring is best for big ladies, and summer is best for the boys, apparently, although i caught my biggest @187lb in august.

i don\'t know anything about the shark, personally i wouldn\'t waste my time, if i wanted a porgie, i would go to scrabster, but these are getting fewer and further between as well due to longlining, again apparently....

there is tope, but again, if i wanted tope i would go to luce bay, better getting them in 80 feet rather than 500 feet. and you get tope on your doorstep anyway

i\'m not interested in conger, i have had a few and i\'m not bothered.

you should think about bringing your own boat up sometime, this trip tomorrow is one i have been trying to get for about 2 months, but with the weather and my wife being ill, we are only making it now.

theres a trip pencilled in for next spring, about march on the small tides, if you fancy it let me know.

les

Comment

Les

There not much responce down here for a trip if you have one arranged for the spring I wouldnt mind tagging along.

Conny

Comment

Thanks for the reply Les, don\'t fancy towing me boat all the way up there it was over 7 hrs without a trailer. Talking of trailers mines two years old but lives in a compound near the sea and has a dip in the briney at least once a week so for a journey like that I think I wiuld have to completely rebrake it cables and all. Got to say though I would love to fish my own boat up there to explore the untapped potential that I\'m sure exists after seeing that the local anglers don\'t really seem to appreciate what they have on their doorsteps.
            Can\'t wait to go back I thought it was better than Ireland, loved it, the new indian restrant was spot on too.

Comment

Hiya,

if you are going to book a boat from Oban, go for the \"Laura Dawn\" or the \"Cheviot\", they are the only two up there that are worth while.

If you want more info to avoid being riped off mail me direct.
              Davy Holt

Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle

Comment

I think davy\'s right , we used \"Laura Dawn\" ( Ronnie Campbell ) and went in April and done very well , better than later in the year . Ronnie is a good skipper and very helpfull .

Comment

Hiya,
                  You could also look at going out from Lochaline on the \"Brendan\" tis quite a few quid less than the Oban boats and he has access to the same grounds for skate. The good thing is you arnt as weather dependant as Oban as you can get out to fish im most conditions.
                  Another benifit is it is a lot bloody shallower and you rarly need more than 2.5lb of lead. Given enough notice I can also make arrrangements to be part of the crew so you would be fishing the marks that I fish.
                  Davy Holt

Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle

Comment

Working...
                  X