No announcement yet.

What line for boat reel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An experienced skipper out of Whitby recommended to me, 50lb braid with 100lb mono leader, so that big Ling can't bite through it too easily.

As he caught a 56lb Halibut while standing 2 feet from me, I will probably take his advice next boat trip!
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Originally posted by toonboymc View Post
      Just got a boat reel courtesy of dave1970 (great bloke) just wondering what line or braid strength to put on it as I am not a proffessional boat angler lol! Cheers for all the advice given thanks
      You need no more than 40 lb breaking strain on your reel when on a boat m8 unless your going for sharks then up it to about 60 lbs.

Comment

snapping braid find a welder,and nick his gauntlets,nicely padded just the biz
        AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

After all this good advice I've purchased some 50lb red braid from china

Comment

i use 100lb berkley whiplash the orange 1 you could pull a wreck up with the stuff lol
            pb = boat - 24lb cod , 22lb ling ,11lb coalfish
            shore = 12lb cod , 7lb pollock

kompressor ss
            conoflex nemesis slr
            carbon metal crest

penn 525 mag 2
            saltist 20h
            penn fathom 15

Comment

Originally posted by Gramas View Post
              After all this good advice I've purchased some 50lb red braid from china
              When ordering from China mate be sure to check the diametre af the braid 1st as some of them are nearly as thick as mono. i nearly made that mistake. Ended up buying a 200m spool of a much thinner 50lb for £9.99 which is ample for fishing around these parts.

Davy
              Tight lines
              Davy

Comment

Originally posted by toonboymc View Post
                i think tarzan could use that to swing threw the jungle m8 (180lb braid)
                Scotty ya ll Defo pull the plug out

Comment

Has the Chinese 40lb braid on my reel for the last two years. Spot on. Quick rinse in cold water at the end of each trip. No problems.
                  Just ordered some 20 and 30 lb braid from same seller. Just waiting for it to arrive.

Comment

Working...
                  X