This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapphire: Bruised battered and Bewildered

I have to start this post with a brief explanation; I have in the past owned my own boat and indeed fished from the Tyne, I used take friends out with me but never for business purposes, as a boat owner wether pleasure or business it is my belief you operate with safety been the prime aim for the day, as the person in charge you have ultimate responsibility.

Sunday 1st July fishing from Sunderland aboard the Sapphire, headed out with brisk breeze and a skipper (Peter) that said, we will give it a try. Nine anglers aboard keen for some good fishing.

The first wreck was a couple of mile out and it looked like a good start some Cod of 4 to 5 lb were brought in, the breeze was fresh and the sea was 'choppy' white caps arrearing here and there, keeping on a wreck was difficult as the drift was fast and furious.

Peter chose to head out a further 10 mile to a second wreck weather conditions were dry and breezy fishing was better with cod coming in touching double figures, Ling were also putting in an appearance as the day went on we had completed three wrecks in the day, with Cod coming in to 15lb.

Fishing was far from comfortable; several anglers (4) were hit with the dreaded sea sickness due to conditions.

I find Peter an excitable bloke, is really keen to impress people but sometimes this can be frustrating, if your out there as skipper and wanting to impress then the way to do it is get the anglers on the fish and keep it safe. When on a wreck some may need assistance to land fish and that's fine, but when drifted away from the wrecks dont spend time, helping someone untangle a line, let the lads get on with helping each other and get the boat back round, valuable time is lost unnecessarly. I was a liitle confused when he also made claims that we had around 50 fish on board for the day; after questioning this and doing a head count we actually had 23 fish caught, not including mackerel and whiting another three coming in after this giving a total of 26

My big complaint about the day was putting failing to put safety first; Peter decided to call it a day and head back in around 4pm as we had a good distance to cover to get to Sunderland. My experience is that as the boat heads in anglers use this time to sort their fish and equiptment out.

Peter headed home and instantly applied full throttle, on choppy waters this soon became apparent that it was time to hold on, it was virtually impossible to do anything else, people were struggling to gut and fillet their catch, not the easiest thing to do at the best of times but when the boat is going so fast that it is leaving the water and crashing down it is positively dangerous, this is the time where a simple slip and a major medical emergency occurs. It was clear to me when a friend turned and said "I don't feel safe"

Oblivious to how uncompfortable his 'customers' were the skipper ploughed on, right up to the point where his throttle jammed wide open.

At this point he had no choice but to cut the engine and assess the damage, a task that finally resulted in a call to Humber Coastguard for assistance.

We were dead in the water; unsafe to continue we had no choice but to wait for the RNLI boats from Sunderland and Tynemouth to be launched. Upon arriving they quickly attached lines and towed us to safely.

In all I found yesterday totally frustrating, Safety has to be priority in all cases; the skipper is ultimately responsible for the lives of all aboard. In my opinion if Peter wanted to be back in by a set time then he should of accounted for weather and sea conditions and set off allowing a safe trip back at a safe speed.

Upon landing at Sunderland I was even more confused that Peter never said a thing to anyone was was leaving, don't know if this was just embarrassment, after taking £315 from these people courtesy would not have gone a miss.

All in all this was my 2nd trip out on the Sapphire, it is £5 cheaper than boats I normally fish from, but in the future I will pay the extra £5. I prefer to know I have an experienced skipper that looks after the people in his charge.

Maybe a good gesture would be to make a large donation to the RNLI at least 50% of the takings for the day; a little less haste would have undoubtabley saved all the drama and the added cost of forthcoming repairs.

Looking forward to my next trip out (Different Boat) and put behind me what I consider to be my worst fishing experience to date.

sorry you had a bad trip, sounds like a mare......!

Comment

I think you should have addressed any concerns you had to the Skipper first, before posting on a public forum.

Secondly in the interests of health and safety, you should never try to gut/fillet fish, while the boat is at sea, especially on the move. I know most people do, but it doesn't mean it's right. Many boats I have been on, the Skipper bans gutting fish on the move, so to suggest he slows down to accommodate this practice is a bit much.

I mean you wouldn't fillet fish at home, using a really sharp knife, will bouncing on a trampoline would you!?

PS On checking his post, Peter says he had about 35, not 50.
      Last edited by kayos; 02-07-2012, 12:12 PM.
      2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

[QUOTE=kayos;417387]I think you should have addressed any concerns you had to the Skipper first, before posting on a public forum.

Secondly in the interests of health and safety, you should never try to gut/fillet fish, while the boat is at sea, especially on the move. I know most people do, but it doesn't mean it's right. Many boats I have been on, the Skipper bans gutting fish on the move, so to suggest he slows down to accommodate this practice is a bit much.

I mean you wouldn't fillet fish at home, using a really sharp knife, will bouncing on a trampoline would you!?

PS On checking his post, Peter says he had about 35!![/QUOTE

Well said kayos!!! Its the first bad thing I've heard said about sapphire,

Comment

suppose you carnt please everyone
          Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
            I think you should have addressed any concerns you had to the Skipper first, before posting on a public forum.

PS On checking his post, Peter says he had about 35!!
            I have checked Peter's post and indeed he claims 35; of which I have commented. Reagrding posting on a public forum, the skipper of a boat is taking hard earned cash from members of the public therefore by doing so why should comments to other members of the public not be allowed.
            Also when a skipper is part of a forum where anglers will post their experiences then is it not so that bad experiences should be there as well as the good ones, people can then judge the comments on their individual merits prior to booking their trips.

I fully agree with you regarding gutting and filleting; but most skippers take their vessels in at safe speeds not only to ensure safe passage of their paying customers but to protect their vessels; after all this is their means of income, my comments in general were not to slow down for this practice but for the general 'health and safety' of all onboard in the whole.

Had this been the case I believe Peter could have saved the drama of RNLI.

As far as addressing the issues with the skipper I have reason for not doing so and definately wont be posting those on a forum.

Comment

oops,this ones gonna run for a bit,the peeler crab debate is kicking off again,this ones gonna kick off too
              sometimes i sits and thinks,but thinks better whilst sitting on a rock fishing

Comment

Fair enough.

I have had some, what I consider "bad" experiences, but realising that I do not fully understand the workings of a charter boat, sea states, safe speeds, swells etc and that personal views are usually subjective, I just make a mental note not to go out on that boat again.

As you say though, each to their own. I hope you find a boat that suits you next time. Anyway you caught more than I did at the weekend, so it wasn't all bad

Regards
                2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience KC this is what open forums are about.

Everyone will have their own opinions and as long as it doesn't get out of hand it will help us make our own minds up about who we would like to book trips with or not.

Tight lines all

Davy
                  Tight lines
                  Davy

Comment

"SAPPHIRE" Chartered Fishing Boat,Sunderland,

Well glad to hear you had a good day sunday 1st july KC, i wonder if it was very sunny flat calm sea you had good fish even your friend with a 15lb you would have still given a good comment like you have, I wonder,
                    Sapphire Charters Sunderland, Wreck, Reef, Rough Ground, Winter Up Tide, COP 60miles, Fully Licensed & Insured, Tea & Coffee, Toilet, Ring me Peter Skipper 07903454745

Comment

kc13661
                      you say you used to take friends out from the tyne what was your boat called mate and did you have lots of friends
                      peter you should have knocked your throttle back and come back at steady pace say 2 notts so the lads could do there fish,then they would have moaned
                      If any boat is at sea in strong westerly wind trying to get to port during a ebb tide its hard going
                      also if a mechanical breakdown, the skipper can not repair the 1 st thing you do is call a boat local to you or lifeboat
                      kc13661 I also used to go from the tyne and wished I had a pound for every boat that was towed back to port I fished my own boat and also my dear father in laws boat fair catch
                      with all your experience did you offer to help the skipper when the throttle jammed open ,when I am on a charter boat and if we hit a problem the 1st thing I do is try and help
                      what was the name of your boat again,and how many friends did you have mate
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sapph33 View Post
                        Well glad to hear you had a good day sunday 1st july KC, i wonder if it was very sunny flat calm sea you had good fish even your friend with a 15lb you would have still given a good comment like you have, I wonder,
                        Sorry Peter but if you want to get personal then so be it. You are a charter boat skipper and as such have a responsibility to your 'Paying Customers' I have fished in worst weather than yesterday aboard vessels where skippers manouvre the boat in the manner suited to the conditions. With reference to 'my friend' he actually said he would not be going out again on the Sapphire as he too an experienced angler, did not feel safe.

This was my second time out with you, the first I commented on a good day, I didn't mention the fact that you had eleven anglers on board, when in fact you are I believe insured for ten (Sunday May 20th). This time I commented on it been a bad day.... I do not 'exagerate' my comments I tell it as it is, sorry but as a person that is building a business this is something you will need to get used to.

You have a reasonable boat equipped with good equiptment, based at an excelent location with some fantastic fishing grounds near by. I am sure over the next few years you will become a good charter skipper, but you have to move from been a guy with a boat to been a business man.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by kc13661 View Post
                          Sorry Peter but if you want to get personal then so be it. You are a charter boat skipper and as such have a responsibility to your 'Paying Customers' I have fished in worst weather than yesterday aboard vessels where skippers manouvre the boat in the manner suited to the conditions. With reference to 'my friend' he actually said he would not be going out again on the Sapphire as he too an experienced angler, did not feel safe.

This was my second time out with you, the first I commented on a good day, I didn't mention the fact that you had eleven anglers on board, when in fact you are I believe insured for ten (Sunday May 20th). This time I commented on it been a bad day.... I do not 'exagerate' my comments I tell it as it is, sorry but as a person that is building a business this is something you will need to get used to.

You have a reasonable boat equipped with good equiptment, based at an excelent location with some fantastic fishing grounds near by. I am sure over the next few years you will become a good charter skipper, but you have to move from been a guy with a boat to been a business man.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

I think nobody on this forum actually agrees with you KC

if sea fishing is too uncomfortable for you, try trout fishing. I am sure you can fillet them safely.

Nothing Peter has done was unreasonable.

Your post is unreasonable and harms somebodies business

Comment

Bruised and Battered Sapphire.

Well m8 first of all a great report and by my reckoning you all seemed tohave a great session in your catch of fish aboard the Sapphire but you dont seem to trust the skipper Peter and i think he does a grand job as he does think of his safety for all he takes out there and by no means you should/nt be gutting and filleting fish if he is coming back into port at speed and the weather and the swells of the sea does/nt help so you all should be seated and wait untill you get back to shore.Mishaps can happen to any boat owner engine break down or whatever but thats a chance we all take when we go out there so you cannot blame Peter for that and maybe Peter will make a donation to the RNLI for their help in getting his boat back to safety and all that were on board so give the man a chance and at least you must of enjoyed it while fishing as all was okay then okay m8.

Comment

word association POO,FAN,HITTING,
                              sometimes i sits and thinks,but thinks better whilst sitting on a rock fishing

Comment

Working...
                              X