Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RQ boat jumble

Hi Lads
    does anyone know if there is any dates for a boat jumble at the RQ, if I recall there was 1 or 2 last year.

Cheers
    Paul

Nowt on their events website:

News | Royal Quays | Quay Marinas

I'm sure berth holders who get the news letters will keep us informed.
    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

I’ve not heard of anything. Wasn’t last year’s cancelled due to lack of interest?

Comment

Think your right Kev it was . Hijacking the thread a bit , I cannot now source Motul 15w-40 engine oil for my Nanni so trying Castrol inboard engine oil . Anyone tried it

Comment

Dave I used Castrol 15/40 semi for years with my other boat that had the Nanni engine and now with this new boat the Cummings engine I use the same oil and not had any issues.

Change the oil at the end of each season along with the filter, then do the fuel filters at the start of the new season.

On a different note checked my engine impella yesterday and surprised to see two out of the 12 blades missing from it, had last checked it in July and was fine but had planned on changing it about March anyway...will be doing this very soon now. Worth a quick open up of the Jacobs pump cover and have a quick visual before the first trip of the season for anyone, as one of the main causes of engine damage by over heating.

Sometimes ASDA have offers on the Castrol 15/40 oil but failing that try Euro parts, I got 2x 4ltrs in September for only £28 on offer.
          ................__................................ .............................
          ____[ ~ \_____
          [__On-A-Roll__/
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          P.B
          SKATE 204lb
          COD 51lb
          LING 32lb
          TOPE 40lb
          CONGER 25lb
          HADDOCK 10lb
          HALIBUT 37lb
          COALIE 16lb
          BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Originally posted by Davem View Post
            Think your right Kev it was . Hijacking the thread a bit , I cannot now source Motul 15w-40 engine oil for my Nanni so trying Castrol inboard engine oil . Anyone tried it
            Dave,
            Motul Inboard 15w-40 4T Boat Engine Oil

If your using Motul, try and stick with it, if not check the specs on your new oil against the Motul API specs.

Rich if you have a cummins and if you haven't already, look at the DCA coolant additive and the fleetguard water filters which are pre charged with DCA. This prevents liner pitting caused by piston slap on the cylinder liner which creates micro air bubbles on the coolant side which in turn erode the liner from the coolant side. Cheap preventative maintenance and a Cummins recommendation

Paul

Comment

Not sure if the Boat Jumble was dropped through lack of interest or because the restaurant development took away the Boat Jumble site and I know the RQ's annual barbeque was dropped last year for that reason.
              I'm sure a boat jumble could be arranged on the grass or in the car park if enough people expressed an interest. I quite enjoyed the previous one, I bought a load of junk I didn't need and haven't used so maybe a chance to get rid of it or more likely I'll just buy a load more junk.

Comment

Thanks lads , opie oil was the main supplier of Motul Paul but its discontinued so they recommended Castrol inboard which fits the bill I think . Lifting out in April For A/F and polish n wax n anodes . Engine will be done on berth , left it 18mths this time naughty boy

Btw Rich , I have an impeller puller if you need it , might do the Cummings as well
                Last edited by Davem; 07-02-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

OP; now that the work on the new block is nearing completion there will be plenty of space at the back of the RQ office to run the boat jumble if there’s interest.

I use 15W40 semi synthetic, either Halford’s own or Shell or Mobil. As long as it is rated API - CD or newer it should be OK.
                  My Nanni 115 engine takes 13L of oil which is quite a reserve carrying a lot of protective wear additives and plenty of capacity to cope with to cope with acidic combustion products.
                  The engine’s original oil spec’ is API-CD but that’s hard to get now, and the lazy revving engine with a turbo has been happy with the higher, newer specification oil and a good run now and again.
                  It still gets changed every 12 months.

I hate changing the impeller, space is tight between the front of the pump and the hatch screws. The old impeller is always in good condition when it comes out, unlike my hands.

Comment

Seems a lot of oil Kev , mines 155hp and 3ltr but only holds approx 7 Ltrs of oil

My impeller is a bugger to get to as well

Comment

Thanks for the offer Dave, I already have the impeller out but need a plan "B"
                      ................__................................ .............................
                      ____[ ~ \_____
                      [__On-A-Roll__/
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                      P.B
                      SKATE 204lb
                      COD 51lb
                      LING 32lb
                      TOPE 40lb
                      CONGER 25lb
                      HADDOCK 10lb
                      HALIBUT 37lb
                      COALIE 16lb
                      BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Thanks for the offer Dave, I already have the impeller out but need a plan "B" to fit the new one, owww how the boat builders who sit on CAD systems drawing them out love to make it hard for us owners to work on....upside down, bottom of the sump with mounting studs in the way, hoses up against pump and not to mention a gap that only Jeremy Beadle could get his had into to fit the bloody thing.

p.s my engine is 150bhp and also takes 7ltrs of fuel.
                        ____[ ~ \_____
                        [__On-A-Roll__/
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                        P.B
                        SKATE 204lb
                        COD 51lb
                        LING 32lb
                        TOPE 40lb
                        CONGER 25lb
                        HADDOCK 10lb
                        HALIBUT 37lb
                        COALIE 16lb
                        BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Not just boat builders Rich , I've been an engineer for 43,yrs and never found a completely maintenance friendly machine . Some were better than others but none were ideal .

Comment

Working...
                          X