X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norway 2017

Ok so rod on order

R&D dept looking into shad design

The big question is...what strength braid? And do I go for (expensive) branded braid or plump for Chinese import?
    Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

Power pro depth finder braid is more than likely what I will be using not sure on strength yet
    Cheers Nicky
    http://skarnsundet-fishing.com/
    http://www.sfc.no/ https://www.facebook.com/SFC2014/?fref=ts

Comment

We've always used 80lb braid during our Norway trips and the Chinese stuff has held up ok Vs the proprietary brands. 80lb is probably a tad over the top for the majority of the fish you'll encounter but you've got to cater for that "potential" fish of a lifetime.
      In the matter of shads, we've used many different brands and while they've all fished well we've found the Red Gill mega vibes to be a tougher shad that won't deteriorate as quickly as other brands.
      Colour is simply down to what they're taking on the day, blue can outfish everything but the following day it could be green or orange. You'll soon suss what's what but you'll also need to beef up on swivel and split ring strength.

Comment

As Tony said 80lb chinese depth finder.
        Chris

Comment

The price you are paying to go fishing in Norway there is no point skimping on braid IMO.
          For the sake of £25 is it worth taking a chance that that cheap braid is going to fail when you have a big Halibut on?
          If you have any weakness in your tackle the fish there will find it.
          As Drifter said beef up on swivels and split rings.
          Another thing I have had experience with is the clip type of swivel connectors. Twice I have lost good fish because the clip must have been in the Halibut's mouth, (Fishing with top mounted assist hooks on a pirk) ,and the fish bit the clip which opened up and then straightened.These were the Cox and Rawle 660lb swivel and clips.(Only 660lb when closed)!!!
          Try and find the big game pigtail (spiral)connectors if you can and this will get rid of the problem.

Comment

Spectra depth hunter braid 80lb will handle anything in Norway as landed skate over 200Lb on the stuff no problem.

Few knots as possible and keep tackle simple, loads of gear on the market for Norway and I purchased a host before I went the first time but you don't need loads of the large flash stuff.

First trip on first day seen Chris Hulme land a 42lb cod on a home made chrome pirk, last trip seen Drifter land a 81lb Hali on a 5" redgill shad and I landed my two best cod of 47lb and 51lb on home made fast drop pirk painted blue and orange. Haddack on cod daylights upto 10lb and wolfish on a dead bait with single hook upto 12lb.

Try and resist the urge to spend a fortune as not required and don't expect it to be as amazing as mag's make out, you still have to work hard and hunt the fish out like you do in the UK. Apart from the travel, the whole holiday break is amazing with some unreal sights along the way.

Sure you will enjoy.
            ................__................................ .............................
            ____[ ~ \_____
            [__On-A-Roll__/
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            P.B
            SKATE 204lb
            COD 51lb
            LING 32lb
            TOPE 40lb
            CONGER 25lb
            HADDOCK 10lb
            HALIBUT 37lb
            COALIE 16lb
            BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

i use chinese braid ive been snagged on boat and it held boat that was only 60lb braid

Comment

never mind what braid don't forget the camera and take plenty shots for me articles
                Alan

Comment

In relative terms to the cost of any holiday anywhere abroad around the world,expensive these days to most people,and the chance of a lost fish of a lifetime through any tackle failure, never understand why people even look to skimp on a few pounds.
                  As said already a quality 300 yard spool of braid @£30,that will outlast any cheap braid or mono for that matter, many times over,be useable time and time again.Reversable on the reel spool,when you will get another good lifetime span,and get a full fresh use out of New line all over again,it's a no brainer.

The same go's for all terminal tackle,seen people home and abroad spend thousands on a holiday and tackle,then go buy cheap copy blunt hooks for a few pence,and cheap Chinese braid.Then wonder why that big fish,a maybe once in a lifetime chance,leaves them in tears and a sorry memory and story of what might have been.Buy only the best quality when thinking all terminal tackle.
                  Last edited by Raptor1; 01-04-2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Nowt wrong with Spectra 🎣🎣🎣🎣

Comment

Chinese might be cheap but who says it's any lesser quality than some of the expensive stuff. I've used mine for 3 seasons including a Norway trip landing cod to 44lb and still going strong. Seen other anglers expensive stuff snapping when snagged, when my 'cheap' chinese braid stays intact and my split rings are straightening out before the braid gives.
                      You can also turn 'chinese' braid around the same as the expensive stuff. Plus you get about 10 times the amount.
                      Just don't go with too light a breaking strain.
                      Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X