Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raymarine wi-fish

Hey everyone, long time no post.

Well after 2 years of being away and no fishing its about time I went out but need to update my old Lowrance x85 for something ALOT more modern (and colour!).

I've been looking at around a £300 mark for a fish finder only as I have the Navionics Boat UK & Holland app on my Galaxy Tab 4 and then stumbled on the Wi-Fish from Raymarine.

Link to wi-fish

This will add to my Navionics and split the screen to Plotter, CHIRP and Downscan with the added bonus of being able to connect multiple devices too.

Have anyone tried this or any views on a Wi-Fi fish finder instead of a dedicated unit (apart from the screen glare as I know might be an issue).

Thanks in advance and hopefully Boy Owen will be posting some nice catch reports later on this year.
    2011 Catch's so far
    ---------------------------------------
    Cod: 13 / Ling: 0 / Herring: 4 / Pollock: 1
    Biggest: Cod 6Lb

I tried one out. The wiring and wifi connection couldn’t have been simpler. However, it was only when I opened the box that the instructions warn that the transducer needs to be fitted forwards of the propeller. It needed to avoid the turbulence from the prop that would degrade the signal.

Hanging the transducer over the side gave a good signal but I couldn’t get it to work shooting the through the hull, even when leaving it in a bag of water or sealing the gap between transducer and hull with Vaseline as recommended. In the end I took it back to the shop.

Other people have had more luck sanding the inside of their hull smooth and epoxying the transducer in place. I guess that it could work if attached to the back of the transom but Raymarine don’t recommend it.

Comment

Thanks for the info Kev1n, was that with an outboard or stern drive? Seen videos with boats with outboards but none with a stern drive.
      2011 Catch's so far

Comment

My boat has an inboard with prop on a shaft; so it's well forward of the transom where I'd want to mount the transducer. Boats with outboards or outdrives may give you more scope of where the transducer will fit and work.

I have heard of people getting them to work through-hull, just not through mine. I also know of other, boats similar to mine that are running downscan and sidescan sonar with transom mounted transducers without any problems.

Comment

Thanks,

I phoned up Raymarine and had a good talk with their technical people and think I might just go for the Dragonfly 4 Pro as the wi-fish cannot do chrip sonar and downscan at the same time. Added bonus of the dragon fly apart from the screen is it also does wi-fi too and streams the data to smartphone / tablet devices too.

Dragonfly 4, 5 and 7 | Raymarine
          2011 Catch's so far

Comment

Working...
          X