Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a boat

Hi guys,

In the process of buying a boat to be moored at RQ. Will be using for fishing at weekends weather permitting and odd times out with family.

However I'm a bit apprehensive with going out alone. Therefore do you guys go out in groups for safely etc? It's a fairly new boat so shouldn't break down but wouldn't really be confident in going out alone.

Couple of questions, how often do you guys get out and do you go out in groups at all?

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum Lee.

We are out from SSBAC most Saturday mornings, and usually meet up with Norman & Tony on Slinky Kate.

There's a quite a few other members with boats in the RQ's, I'm sure they'll be along soon.

Which boat are you buying? we'll keep an eye out for you.
    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Hi Lee, welcome to the forum. I am not moored in the RQ's, but I think most boats go out on their own at whatever time suits them best. Some go off to the wrecks scattered around the approaches to the Tyne, some just head off to hard inshore ground north and south of the Tyne for pan size fish. Once you are a member of the RQ's, should be easy enough to get chatting with anglers walking around the pontoons, and get advice.
      I launch from Cullercoats beach and regularly fish on my own, that just comes with a little confidence, once used to the feel of your new boat. Would probably be a good idea just to take her out up and down the river first just to get to know her.
      Best of luck, just use common sense and you'll be fine.
      Last edited by canman; 25-04-2017, 07:57 AM.
      P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Hi Lee, welcome mate.
        As has been said you'll soon pick up with us all when you get in royal quays.
        Your more than welcome to tag along with us anytime you like.
        We usually meet other boats (Arthur and Keith posted above to name a couple) periodically through the day and are in touch on radio and telephone if any one ever needs any assistance (or if any of us strike into a good spot)
        So once again, welcome aboard, look forward to a meet.

Cheers

Norm
        ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
        . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
        ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Hi Lee,
          Royal Quays marina has a very active fishing fraternity and it's most likely that you'll be berthed among the other angling vessels. You'll soon be made welcome by the day boat lads and the Charter Skippers and when the weather permits there'll always be several boats out fishing the rough ground and local wrecks. It's a very friendly environment and everyone looks out for each other both out at sea and in the marina.

Comment

Many thanks for the friendly words and assurances guys. I'll very much look forward to meeting you all.

At the moment I'm looking at a Quicksilver 705 but also an Antares 780 or MF755. The 705 is ready for sale the other 2 may be a challenge getting transported and maybe a shade more expensive but seem a bit better quality wise. I need to make a decision on which to go with. Any words of wisdom welcome.

Cheers.

Comment

welcome to the site Lee,its good to see some new blood and hopefully some reports---regarding confidence--it comes with a wee bit time!!have you done any courses???? the radio course whilst not compulsory is good to have under your belt,as is the level 2 powerboat handling--i wont mention all the boring stuff such as some tools/spare bits,spare fuel,lifejackets(worn)--good old fashioned compass and a watch,for when the electrics fail marine radio,(mobile phone is no substitute) anchor and chain/rope to suit your vessel------last but not least A KETTLE apologies if your in "does this guy think im stupid mode by now"!!!!!! but you would be surprised how many omit many of these items--the big plus about your location is you will never be too far away from a good group of other boat owners,all willing to give help if needed.
              AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Originally posted by lingking View Post
                welcome to the site Lee,its good to see some new blood and hopefully some reports---regarding confidence--it comes with a wee bit time!!have you done any courses???? the radio course whilst not compulsory is good to have under your belt,as is the level 2 powerboat handling--i wont mention all the boring stuff such as some tools/spare bits,spare fuel,lifejackets(worn)--good old fashioned compass and a watch,for when the electrics fail marine radio,(mobile phone is no substitute) anchor and chain/rope to suit your vessel------last but not least A KETTLE apologies if your in "does this guy think im stupid mode by now"!!!!!! but you would be surprised how many omit many of these items--the big plus about your location is you will never be too far away from a good group of other boat owners,all willing to give help if needed.
                One of the strangest , but simple requests we have had was only a few weeks ago at St Marys (and if your looking in all the best I hope you've thawed out) was from a lad in a Yak who paddled up and asked if we had any cable ties (which we happily handed over) as the tide was fast and he wanted to set his anchor trip but had come out with no ties its great here.

norm
                ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Cable ties or makeshift Fanbelts ?
                  Welcome aboard Lee
                  Cheers Bert

Comment

Originally posted by Tadpoleman View Post
                    Cable ties or makeshift Fanbelts ?
                    Welcome aboard Lee
                    i find my tights more suitable,wet them before using enables you to get the knot smaller
                    AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Hello Lee,

I'm a newbie to the forum too. It strikes me it is a great place to learn a lot.

I moored at RQ for the past 4 years (Orkney 522 Ayva Leigh) but decided to move to Amble marina this season to see what things are like up north! This year, I'll be mostly solo as my lad is working away. So far, I've been out a couple of times at the beginning of the month but not much doing apart from some small codling and pout. I had a look last Sunday, but there was a heavy swell of 1.5-2m waves breaking at the harbour mouth, and with the wind forecast to rise figured it would be foolhardy to attempt it, never mind get back in.

The point is, if you respect the sea you'll be fine. Lingking is spot on. There is a RYA base at RQ run by Graham, who is a great teacher, and if you are new to boats, as I was, it will give you that extra bit of confidence, plus some insurers give you a discount.

Check out the weather forecast on the RQ website, and a few other online services such as windguru, which gives the wave height and direction. The boats you have in mind are good safe seaboats, so pick a nice day and you'll soon realise why you got into this boating lark.

The lads at RQ are all very friendly and you'll get lots of great advice. I'm looking forward to my season at Amble and will look out for anyone from the forum there.

All the best

Comment

Originally posted by My Alibi View Post
                        Hello Lee,

I'm a newbie to the forum too. It strikes me it is a great place to learn a lot.

I moored at RQ for the past 4 years (Orkney 522 Ayva Leigh) but decided to move to Amble marina this season to see what things are like up north! This year, I'll be mostly solo as my lad is working away. So far, I've been out a couple of times at the beginning of the month but not much doing apart from some small codling and pout. I had a look last Sunday, but there was a heavy swell of 1.5-2m waves breaking at the harbour mouth, and with the wind forecast to rise figured it would be foolhardy to attempt it, never mind get back in.

The point is, if you respect the sea you'll be fine. Lingking is spot on. There is a RYA base at RQ run by Graham, who is a great teacher, and if you are new to boats, as I was, it will give you that extra bit of confidence, plus some insurers give you a discount.

Check out the weather forecast on the RQ website, and a few other online services such as windguru, which gives the wave height and direction. The boats you have in mind are good safe seaboats, so pick a nice day and you'll soon realise why you got into this boating lark.

The lads at RQ are all very friendly and you'll get lots of great advice. I'm looking forward to my season at Amble and will look out for anyone from the forum there.

All the best
                        you have picked a grand place to tie up for a season (or 5)--marina staff are spot on,keeping an eye on your vessel when you aint there--the harbour entrance is a b@@@@@D at low water in the wrong conditions,for getting back in--sometimes can be safer to sit off for an hour till theres a bit more water.watch out too for pier anglers some not the brightest--give them as much room as the water will let you,and keep a sharp knife handy.early in the season fishing tends to be south to cresswell on the ground,and if conditions permit a dodge out to some wrecks on the way back(or the other way round---from june onwards north is normally the order of the day,with the wreck and ground scenario being the same,if you just dont fancy going very far(evenings etc) some good fishing round the back of the island,and down to hauxly area---boulmer(north and cresswell(south are tackle hungry places-early on prawn and frozen black can produce fish--daylight are good but so are most other lures--like most areas its not "hook a cod" and can be soul destroying many times.its worth going north (craster just for the scenery!!!!!! get to know Norma and Tony at amble angling---order bait if you need to--good helpful friendly folks
                        AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Originally posted by LeeC View Post
                          Many thanks for the friendly words and assurances guys. I'll very much look forward to meeting you all.

At the moment I'm looking at a Quicksilver 705 but also an Antares 780 or MF755. The 705 is ready for sale the other 2 may be a challenge getting transported and maybe a shade more expensive but seem a bit better quality wise. I need to make a decision on which to go with. Any words of wisdom welcome.

Cheers.
                          Hi Lee welcome aboard to NESA and the RQ.
                          I'd go for the Antares or MF, the little extra length will give you far more boat and you'll feel the benefit when the sea gets lumpy. Engine choice is important too. Debates rage about outboard versus inboard – I prefer the extra space an inboard offers…
                          For your first trip out you’ll not go far wrong heading to the yellow can a mile off StMary’s Island. You’ll find fish there and plenty of company from other boats.
                          Duncan is right about the need for a kettle, and bring enough mugs. When the weather stops the boats getting out, the pontoons are a hub for everyone to sup tea and spout tall fishing stories while finding reasons not to do the jobs they've told their wives they were going to do.

Comment

Thanks for the good advice Lingking.

I'm itching to get out again. Hopefully I'll be able to add some catch reports with photos. I'll have to have a muck about and see how to go about including attachments.

Cheers
                            Attached Files

Comment

take your time getting to know how the boat responds and have lots of goes at mooring up on your own, not so easy when there aint no one to grab a line. Make sure you know the drill if you need help, get a spare motor asap. try and go out when other boats are about and keep in contact with at least one.When you are sure you have everything in place and you are as safe as you can be then you can enjoy the day and remember you take opportunities not risks
                              •Secretary not permanent fixture until screwed on top of desk
                              Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
                              :man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day

PB COD 22LB (BOAT) Grafter h'pool
                              LING 21LB (BOAT) Esmeralda h'pool
                              CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
                              THORNBACK RAY 13LB (BOAT) ULLAPOOL
                              COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
                              CARP 30LB CANADA
                              PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

Working...
                              X