Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kayak fisherfolks - anyone spare some advice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak fisherfolks - anyone spare some advice ?

Looking to get into kayak fishing.

The more research I do the more questions I end up with. Two of the three regional clubs I have contacted (for safety and skills training) have not replied after over a week of waiting, and the third suggested I contact one of the other two, so no further forward on that front.

I will be going along the lines of a Trident/Prowler 11/13, I don't want a fish finder to start with, but where I am coming unstuck is different advice regarding drysuit, or something like the Palm waterproof/breathable trousers and cag, or sleeveless wetsuit and cag, etc

I don't mind shelling for a drysuit but I would rather buy once and get it right.

I am 6' 4" and 17 stone, which may be a consideration. The only one I have physically tried on is the Typhoon Max B which I got on well enough with.

Anyone have the time to offer their wisdom ?

It really would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for looking

get yourself on anglers afloat [its a kayak forum] the lads will help you on there
    did eeerrrr ya snap it off like?thats a shame teeeheeeeheeeheeee and take your rubbish home and dont be a meth

Comment

Hi , I wear a drysuit all year around and vary what I wear underneath , a wicking layer followed by fleece layers . In very cold winter sessions which we have not had this winter I wear a weezle one piece over the wicking layer . Rule of thumb is dress for water temp not air temp . The max b has a good reputation in kayaking so yes a good choice . As for kayaks I would choose a second hand package as the equipment can cost as much as the yak . Length of yak I would recommend around 13 to 16ft . Ocean kayak are a good well established make as is RTM and perception kayaks , there are some good buys around at the moment , one package on facebook now is a perception package , hope this helps , good luck ........Dave.

Comment

call in and see these lads they will get you started

Comment

call in and

see these lads they will get you started

call in and see these lads they will get you started off.

Comment

go to Kayak Fishing UK site owner from northeast as are alot of the lads on it

Advice they will give will be spot on

Comment

There is a safety course being run at Flamborough on the 24th june still some places available , covers all aspects of kayak fishing and is money well spent . More details on Anglers Afloat forum contact semtex simon. If needed suitable yaks provided for a donation to Help for Heroes on the water.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

I just had a long chat with Simon Everett who was very generous and patient, offering a wealth of advice and answering all of my questions.

I now have the beginnings of a solid plan to go froward with and I hope to make Simon's Flamborough course in June

Happy days

Comment

Just a quick update:

With combined excellent advice from Simon, and Pete and Irene (a la Puffin fishing comp), plus John from North East Kayaks & Paddles, I decided to buy everything new and, for a very good price (thanks John) I am now the proud owner of:

1. Ocean Prowler 13
                  2. Palm drysuit
                  3. Palm PFD
                  4. Fancy pants carbon paddle (the details escape me but John assured me that Pete would be jealous )
                  5. Paddle leach
                  6. Roof bar straps

I popped into Ladyburn lake on the way back home and spent a couple of hours paddling, practising self-rescue, and generally getting used to everything.

Pete has very kindly offered to throw me overboard tomorrow to make sure I'm safe and confident.

After a session or two just paddling I will bring the rod and lure box out - fishing will be ultra-simple and as light as I can manage without introducing problems.

I can't stop smiling

Thanks once again to Simon, Pete & Irene and John who, between them, are entirely to blame for whatever happens next...

Comment

More than welcome Barry it's nearly fishing time

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X