What makes you sea sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes you sea sick

we have heard of the cure now what makes you sea sick, the truth please. Bob Lydon always used to blame the onion bargies he had the night before.
    Alan

Alan
    Having spent 18 years in the navy I can answer that. The ear has 3 canals in them with anvils in them, they float about in liquid this monitors your balance when a boat is moving it causes your brain because you are stood up and counter acting the motion to think that you are still but you are moving the nausea is caused by the brain being confused. The majority of sea sickness tablets cause the liquid in the canals to thicken thus causing the anvils to move less and therefore less confussion. Will try and find diagrams.
    Hope this makes sense.
    Jason
    give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

a big slow north easterly swell used to get me feeling queezy if i am being chucked all over the boat in a short choppy sea i\'m fine
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Comment

homer that helps explain what I am on about. in a big sea you do not stand straight but get bounced about in a long leisurely swell you do counter act the motion.
        give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

Jason I know all about the inner ear stuff, i meany like a curry the night before to many beers, cooked breakfast not any scientific stuff. as you know some are perfectly alright until they do something or eat something includong the night before, just a bit of fun m8
          Alan

Comment

sorry mate.

Comment

Drink anymore than 3 pints......

Comment

standing under a tree......

don\'t matter what I eat drink the day the night before, for me, if I\'m knelt down doing something, so know visual horizon, i can feel it start, stand up and I\'m mostly alright
                ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
                Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

I reckon worrying about is a major factor. When I was a kid I never had a twinge and although never experiencing massive seas had plenty of trips out / journeys back in nasty water in a small boat. My dad never suffered so it wasn\'t even mentioned for a long time and I had no real conception of it. (Until of course \"The Uncle\" comes out with you and spends a harrowing few hours hanging over the side. \"Dad why\'s Uncle Bob trying to drink the sea?\") When I next had the chance to get on a boat as an uptight adult steeped in risk free culture I worried that It might just happen and almost thought myself sick. I wasn\'t and don\'t worry about it anymore. If you\'ve got an adult mind and are going out for the first time I reckon the best thing that can happen to you is to get into fish straight away. Stopping early to pick up mackerel soon foccusses your mind on why your out there, to catch fish and enjoy your bit sell. A couple of early good drifts and that\'s you. Boats = good times and not rolling, bucking vomit machines.

HHhhUUuuuuuuuRRRRrrPPPppp
                  "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
                  Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

Drink and a big slow roll gets me feeling abit errr but so far never been sea sick once. May chane !

Comment

A very difficult question to answer Alan. Having only been sea sick once on a perfectly flat sea I couldn\'t say.
                      I did all the usual, out for a drink with the lads the night before, a good supper before bed and a cooked breakfast on the morning. Couldn\'t understand it at all.

In a couple of words \" No idea \".

Jim.
                      Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

Well, as I said in a previous post, my usual routine before I go out is;
                        No booze (well maybe a pint), the night before.
                        A good nights\' sleep (about 5 hours in my case)
                        A good breakfast.

Only once didn\'t follow that routine and that\'s the only time I\'ve been affected by sea-sickness.

Mind you......gotta agree with Mark.......sitting or kneeling down whilst sorting out rigs, tying traces etc, can be trouble......It doesn\'t take long before you get that movement in the pit of your stomache.
                        I always have plenty of rigs with me so that there\'s no need to do that.

Comment

Diesel fumes get me every time.If I get the back of the boat,when it fires up I move to the front.If not Billy, Ralph or Huey are guaranteed a call.

Comment

I\'m like Tat the smell of fumes gets me...Also the last time I was out on a boat( a couple of years back) me cousin was next to me and opened a box he had some mussell in and it wasn\'t the better side of fresh....Stuck me heed over the side and fed the gulls
                            "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

Snap - fumes (and a big swell)

Comment

Working...
                              X