Amble wrecks - any hints & tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amble wrecks - any hints & tips?

Hey everyone. After a decent start to our first season fishing out of Amble picking up some decent cod and mackrel on the drift over the reefs, we're preparing to have a go at the wrecks in the hope of landing something more substantial!

I've spent a bit of time plugging the coordinates of wrecks from Newbiggin in the south to the Farnes in the north into the GPS and wondered if anyone would care to help out with any hints and advice? I've taken the positions from Ron Young's shipwreck books as I've been told that the charts/GPS can be off.

I realise I may be asking for you to reveal the family jewels here - so appologise in advance as this isn't the intention. I'd just like to try and educate myself as much as possible before committing to the fuel and the real possibility of a blank day.

Any help gratefully received!

It’s easiest to fish the wrecks when the wind and tide aren’t making the drift too fast.
    With the wreck coordinates you've put in your plotter you’re ready to check out a few to see if they're intact. Some will be where they are reported, some will be out by a couple of hundred yards and some will be broken, scattered or missing entirely.
    Set your sounder to show up the bottom detail and zoom the plotter almost as far as it goes.

When you spot the wreck try to mark it on the plotter. Go round in steadily increasing circles or a flower pattern and mark the wreck every time you go over it or drop off it. You’ll soon have an outline of where it is and what direction it’s lying.
    Once you have the wreck marked, let the boat drift so you know where it’s heading, then you can move slightly “up-stream” of the wreck and drift back over it. Setting the plotter up to show an Electronic Bearing Line of where you’re heading and the track of where you’ve been will help getting the line-up right.

Comment

Dropped you a message Silver Star,

Graham.

Comment

Working...
      X