Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod and Reel suggestions

Afternoon chaps,

Been quite a while since I've posted on here, hope you're all well.

I've decided to treat myself to a new rod and reel outfit after 8 years of the same one - which I'm still happy with but fancy something new.

I've been using the Daiwa Kensaki 20-30lb class rod which I love and may well buy another in the lighter 12-20lb class, and a trusty TLD 15.

After 8 years in Amble Marina the boat now lives in Ardwell on the MoG, so naturally my main quarry is hopefully going to be Tope, Rays and possibly some Conger.

I'm a big Daiwa fan so I'm considering the 12-30lb Kenzaki (appreciate any comments on whether this is too light for Tope) or the Daiwa Tournament 15-25lb which looks nice.

Reel wise I like the look of the Penn Fathom 25LD or possibly a Torium 16 (although I'm a little put off by the star drag as opposed to a lever).

I'd ideally like to keep the outfit as light in weight as possible. Budget is £300 so any comments/advice from those who have used the above named gear or any other recommendations which might fit the bill will be greatly received.

Tight lines and wet nets.....

Dave

Few of the lads who fish on the JFK are using the fathom 15 lever drag 2 speed, they look a bit on the small side to me but the lads rate them highly, they also using them on their trips to shetlands and norway 👍

Comment

GOOD read there dave.
      aswell as reply from Russ.
      sorry cant help out.
      as said,nice post,hope some other members can help you out though.

Comment

Cheers lads. Russ I like the 25 because the deep narrow spool should give a faster retrieve than the smaller wider 15 size. I had a little play with one today and they feel like a cracking reel with plenty of power. Think the reel choice is taken care of now!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X