offshore fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• offshore fishing

When is the best time to catch cod off a fixed platform as regards tides etc. Any help would be much appreciated as I am a novice

Hi mate and welcome to the board..are you referring to shore fishing or boat fishing.If its shore fishing then you may be better off reposting in the shore section and someone will help you out.
    Try and be a bit more specific as well ie what type of fishing (beach,rocks,piers, harbours etc), your location,etc etc.Hope this helps you.
    Cheers Alan...

Comment

Thanks for the reply.Cant say too much as it aint allowed, Fishing from Gas Rig in North Sea, Had a good load of Cod in Summer up to about 15Lb but seems to have died off lately. We were wondering if we are fishing wrong tides or times. A bit of thread tape on a 6/0 hook usually does the trick. Fairly happy with Shore fishing as that is my usual forte.

Comment

Just out of curiosity mind, if somebody did catch a 15lber off a rig, how high would they have to haul it up ? Not that anybody would do such a thing.
        If all about you are catching fish, cast in their swim !!!

Comment

Don\'t suppose they\'d be mad keen on letting you barbecue em on board either!

Sounds like a good laugh tho
          ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
          Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

I\'d recommend no more than 15 seconds each side when they\'re flareing, Mark.
            If all about you are catching fish, cast in their swim !!!

Comment

you\'d need bloody long tongs to turn em over

Thought for the day:
              Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Comment

In answer to your questions and your very funny comments, the sea depth is around 30Metres and we have to haul them up another 30Metres onto the lowest level. Bleemin hard work getting em up, one handballing and the other reeling. we made the mistake of fishing two hooks once and caught two big bu**ers at the same time, had a sweat on that night...and the flare wasnt even lit!!!! Chef does a good job cooking em for us on the QT

Comment

I suppose I\'d bee keen try some luminous hokkais. Charge em up with a torch or flashgun before dropping them down the side. I\'ve had more fish this year on hokkais than anything else - boat and shore

Thought for the day:

Comment

I might be wrong but I\'d imagine slack water may be the least desirable tide state. Any tidal movement should fish. Again I might be guessing but for cod I don\'t think it matters that much.

Comment

And dont get caught or the OIM will have yer nads for garters and yer P45 waiting for you.
                      http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j273/nerhs/p.jpg

Comment

The OIM is a keen fisherman himself but is tied by the rules of the Company. He has an inkling that we do it especially after he has tucked into a nice piece of fresh cod and comments with a twinkle in his eye \" I havent tasted fish like this since fishing was allowed offshore\". You dont have to be a nasty piece of work to be an OIM...but it helps lol

Comment

Sounds like a good number Bazz any jobs going for operaters?Im working over in Brazil on an FPSO getting a bit tired of it now looking for a Change.
                          http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j273/nerhs/p.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X