A week today on JFK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A week today on JFK

Whoo hoo. This time next Thursday I will be jigging my shiny bits over the side of JFK2. First and only boat trip in 2018 due to summer illness!

I have been keeping a beady eye on the weather and so far it looks pretty good for Thursday. Hope so, as we have booked 2 nights at the Alexander apartments in North Shields and if we don't cancel today we pay full price anyway, so fingers crossed!

Gear all sorted out and packed in my box. If I have a bucket like this I will be a happy bunny!

2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

If the fish are there, Allan will put you over them guaranteed!

Oil your reel and get ready to lift in some fish! Tight lines !
    Lost another rig

Comment

There's plenty about, the wrecks started slowly but recently they've produced some specimens in the mid and high teens. The inshore ground's been cracking all season albeit the fish have been smaller but they've been fighting fit and very clean.

Comment

Well the old codger has been on magicseaweed hourly since I arrived yesterday. It is looking good for my man. 9mph breeze and just a foot of swell, so hopefully his trip will actually happen!

PS I recognise that bucket of fish - it's mine!

Comment

Big tide, so bring plenty of heavy sinkers

If the forecast holds, you will guaranteed have an awesome day....the problem is that the forecasts are useless 5 days before....totally useless!

This season is a very strange one. Almost no herrings but masses of sprat and mackerels...however, the mackerels are patchy as hell.

The water temps change like a yo-yo.

The wrecks are full of ling and also pollack and cod...but so far hard to get sizeable ones.

Inshore fishing is good for small cod.

The sea-life is spectacular

This season we had plenty of dolphins and porpoises as well as the dreaded seals...loads of all kind of sea birds....but most spectacularly we had orcas, humpbacks and minke whales...what a sight (Admittedly I only spotted the fin of an Orca, but the team on the Amsterdam DFDS ferry have confirmed they are around!)

Good luck for Thursday! I will be out that day as well

Comment

Working...
          X