Boat Reels - Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Reels - Recommendations

Looking to get back in to fishing, a total novice, all the gear but no idea!

I heard that the Penn Fathom reels are good for boat fishing? Any feedback on this or any recommendations of other reels I could look at. I don't mind spending the money as I believe you get what you pay for.

I haven't been fishing for a couple of years now but intend to do some boat fishing when I return to the UK shortly. I was previously using Shimano TLD reels but found them to be rather slow on retrieving but as I'm a novice it could be human error!

Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers

Michael
    Last edited by Tricky Tree; 27-03-2019, 06:17 PM.

It depends what you kind of fishing you expect to do.
    Your Shimano TLD is a good all-round reel that can cope with wreck fishing and still be useable inshore if you have the 15 size. Fill it to the brim with cheap Chinese braid to maximise the retrieve speed but don't expect to be able to cast it.

I like the Penn 320LD which has the love-it/ hate-it level wind and rate it above the Shimanos I have as it’s smoother and has proved more durable. Whichever wrecking reel you go for, look for one with a lever drag.

For inshore fishing and uptiding you can go lighter and use a Slosh, 7000 or Fathom – or try a medium sized fixed spool reel.

Comment

really recommend the 2 speed fathom 15 lever drags, also got a saltist 2 speed 30 which is like a tank

Comment

I have been using a pair of Fin Nor Marquessa Ma20's(if I remember the model number rightly) for a few years now. The two speed one is great and the reels are bombproof.
        I was going through the penn 330ld's too often.
        The Marquessa's are not right at the top end of the price range but not cheap either. As you say, you get what you pay for.

Graham.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback lads; I've just purchased a Penn Squall SQL16VS 2 Speed and a Penn Fathom FTH15LD 2 Speed so should be sorted.

Comment

Working...
          X