Stuck in Gear Johnson 25hp 1991

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck in Gear Johnson 25hp 1991

I have a 2 stroke outboard stuck in gear does anyone know what its likely to be due to?

Had same problem( or thought I did ) on my johnson 50. Turned out it was a hydro-electric drive and had to b running to change gear, what gear is it stuck in? Mine was forward

Comment

Is it on the boat connected to the remote gear change, if so, might just be the cable rusted.
      P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Hello, Re-visiting this now as the weather is improving . It is stuck in Forward. It had been working but was getting stiff. I have removed the gear control cable and tried to move it at the motor but it is really is stuck. Does anyone have a copy of the manual to allow me to dismantle it?

Comment

Hi ,very common fault,what you need to do is drill a couple of 1/16 holes in the linkage ,lubricate with wd 40 whilst moving the gear arm,when it frees off lubricate regular with oil.
          Hope this is of some help

Comment

Back again on this the gear cable is removed it is definitely stuck inside somewhere I have pulled cord turning the prop and pushed on lever without it budging. any ideas would be very welcome. I think I will have to strip
            it all down but where to start.

Comment

This might help. Exploded diagrams of the gearcase and mid section.
              Doug Russell Marine - Parts Diagram

Comment

Thanks for the reply doug

Comment

check its not the linkage in the leg into the gearbox. there will be a small inspection cover, bottom bit of the leg, remove that and you will see the rod intot he gearbox. loosen that and check the gear lever at the top, if it moves freely now, the problem is in the box not the linkage

drain the gearbox oil and flush the box out. you should be able to grip the fear linkeage through the inspection port with pliers and try work it up and down to see if it will free

had a similar issue years ago on a johnson 40. gearbox oil was like paté

I ended up filling the box with diesel, spinning the prop and wiggling the rod, then flushing the box with hydraulic oil and finally refilling with gearbox oil. worked great for years after that
                  ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
                  Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Thanks Mark for your reply. I have been working on my smaller outboard and have it sorted at last so I am moving onto this one again. I will try what you say and report back.

Comment

Oh I now know its a 1981

Comment

I followed Marks advice and found it was seizing up near top. so I took of the bottom drive parts, Then I began to dismantle th but I am unable to get the nuts the power head from mid section but I cannot get the corroded nuts insdide the casing off. Any advice would be most welcome.

Comment

Working...
                        X