Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine ply for floor decking ?

Hi,
    Need some help and advice please. My boat badly needs the flooring replaced. Looks like the original planking was "standard ply" as it has become badly swollen and the layers have 'lifted'. I am thinking of replacing it with 5 strips (6' x 1') marine ply. However I know it is very expensive.
    Does any one know the cheapest timber merchant to buy marine ply from, and also would they cut it to the size strips I require ? Better still, is there anywhere that might sell second hand marine ply ?
    Also does anyone know what I could use as a cheaper alternative, and if so where can I obtain it ?
    Many thanks in advance.

Not sure about marine ply stockists or what you require but, would good quality exterior ply coated with yacht varnish do, just a thought, or fiberglassed over to seal it, then none slip floor paint.
    Hope you can get it sorted soon.
    P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Arthur. I managed to buy an 8' x 4' sheet of marine plywood from a builder's merchant in Blyth for £52.00, which is by far the best price I could find. I'm still going to treat it though, and paint it with non-slip paint.
      When are you planning your first trip out ? Won't have my boat in the water 'till about the end of April.
      Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by BAZACODBASHA View Post
        paint it with non-slip paint.
        Cheers.
        Fine sand in normal paint is what I used to use, less £
        In order to become "old & wise", you must first be young & stupid.
        Age and experience will beat youth and enthusiasm every time.
        Youth and Skill is no match for Age and Treachery.

This link is good for tide and weather and more http://magicseaweed.com/Tynemouth-Lo...rt/26/tide/uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Mad as a fish View Post
          Fine sand in normal paint is what I used to use, less £
          or paint it with paint or just raisin and sprinkle normal salt onto it. Wash the salt off once dry

Comment

Hopefully get out later Saturday, or Sunday, as it's a slightly bigger tide and another day to see it flatten off a bit. Hope you get boat sorted soon. Best of luck.
            P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Working...
            X