What weight pirk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What weight pirk?

Can anyone give me an idea what is the lightest weight pirk I can get away with fishing the rough ground out of Whitby on a neap tide (full flow and slack water) using dynon 3000 FX. Thinking of getting some smaller painted pirks and the glitzy macky looking ones.

Cheers

I use 8oz perks and thats about the lightest i would go are the perk just goes shooting off down tide and takes about 50 yards more line before hitting the bottom.

I use a 12lb class rod with 8oz perks with a set of baited daylights, works very well for whiting,haddock and codling off the tyne.

Comment

we generally use 12oz mike, as rich says anything less gets washed downtide a lot
      ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
      . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
      ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Mainly use 5oz and won\'t go any heavier than 8oz after that a change to jellys or shads.on 20lbs class with 40lbs dynon stright through and a slosh 20. If possible try casting the pirk (very carefully) down the drift so by the time you reach botton the lines vertical.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I\'m planning on going armed with a 30-50lb boat rod with heavy wrecking gear and the 20lb rod and lighter pirk with maybe 1 small shad on a dropper and see what I do best on. Saying that the trips not till the end of March, but theres nothing wrong with a \'bit\' of preperation.

Comment

Great advice from Dave (Tope) casting down the drift. If there is a bit drift on its a bit of learning curve but you soon get the hang of it, cast just far enough so that the pirk hits the bottom just as you pass over it.
            Then there`s the position of boat of course dave , do as above but position the boat so that the cast reaching the bottom co-incides with the boat drifting over the wreck all at the same time LOL but its a great sense of achievement when you get it right and the line goes straight up and down at point of bottoming (then gets snagged instantly in the wreck LOL ) but I`m sure Dave knows exactly what I mean
            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Working...
            X