FM Radio (marine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM Radio (marine)

Can anyone tell me about getting a licence for FM Radoi?
    Do I need to attend a course? Can I buy a radio before I get my licence?
    Who do I need to get in touch with for the application forms etc...
    Thanks for any info...

Follow this link it`s a whole load of info on VHF, however if you go to the bottom of the page theres a box link to application form. You need to print it off and fill in and post (no use emailing the address supplied they have their filters so tight everything comes straight back)

Basically You dont need to pass a course to apply for and receive a license, however it`s an offence to operate a VHF without having a qualified person on board. It`s well worth the course (only a day) that way you and other people on board will communicate correctly.

License fee is presently £20 per year however there is talk of that being dropped in future.

Not sure now where local place will be for a course but i`m sure a call to marinas locally will point you in correct direction

good luck

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/ra145gn.htm

]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Thanks Norman very helpfull mate
      People Ive spoken to told me a licence was £90 plus I wonder if they mean the course? I have printed the form sending it this week.
      Thanks again

[Edited on 3/9/2006 by Pierat]

Comment

Always top advice from Norman , mustn\'t be on the RED yet lol
        You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Think you will find it is illegal to use a VHF without a licence and you have to sit a course to get one, unless it has changed
          Alan

Comment

I am going to do the course, You can have a licence and a radio but only use it if someone qualified is on board from what I can gather?
            I dont know wether to buy a hand held set or a proper radio? Anybody got any experience with the Hand Held sets? Do they have adequate range? or should I get a more powerfull set?

Comment

That`s correct Alan, it`s an offence to use a VHF unless anyone on board is qualified (and unless the vessel is registered/licensed), however you can licence the boat in advance of being qualified.

The course is approx £70 for the day plus i think £20 for the registration on completion.

so long as at least ONE person on board is qualified then it`s legal for anyone (under supervision of the qualified person) on board to use the VHF radio.

EVERYONE who owns a boat should complete the course , not for legal reasons but just for safety ....
              ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
              . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

hi Pierat, yes you got it right there,

I would ALWAYS go for a fixed VHF (go DSC now, the course includes this) hand held sets have limited range (and the batteries run out - ask marc).
                ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

steve, .. LOL almost hahaha it is sunday lunch time isn`t it .....LOL well it was and yes, now i am
                  ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                  . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Well ,great advice there Norman ,as usual , and I hope you enjoyed your day mate .
                    You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

south tyneside college in south shields do them 0191 4273592
                      think the web addy is www.stc.co.uk should be some info there

Comment

without a licence/qualification a DSC radio is pretty useless as you need an MMSI number to enter in, before the DSC function will work, hence best get the neccessary doings
                        ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
                        Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

without a licence or qualification any VHF is useless (providing you stay within the law and don`t operate it).
                          A DSC is exactly the same as a standard VHF and will work fine in the same manner that a standard VHF with all the same channells and options even prior to entering your MMSI number. The only difference is it will not allow the extra functions of DSC (Digital selective calling). which is selective calling of \"Buddies\" and input and output of Lat Long information to and from others with DSC and valid MMSI numbers. Also the oportunity to automatically broadcast your lat long position to other vessels and authorities in time of distress.
                          ps your MMSI number comes free with your licence application so long as you request it (or any time thereafter as I did by post/email.
                          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Ships radio licence update

Hi Guys,
                            The OFCOM website has all the info on the maritime radio licence. This year the licence is going to be a "lifetime" licence that is free. conditions do apply but only for registration. You must hold a licence for the radio equipment and a valid "Authority to operate". the ATO is issued when you pass the exam. I took mine at Northumberland yacht club at Blyth harbour. Had a great day with a few others doing the course and it cost 50 quid (2004) including the ATO plus they even had a buffet lunch. Well recommended!!!. sunderland marina used to do the course as well for a similar cost. Bear in mind that if you do not have a licence or ATO you can be fined up to 5K pounds and enjoy 6 months holiday in one of HM's holiday camps. Ofcom are mooting a 100 quid on the spot fine for misuse / illegal use of the radio. plus all radio equipment can be confiscated. Radio is as good as if not better than a lifejacket as you can tell other people you are in the sh**e and need some help.
                            The document and updated info is on OFCOM website, ships radio licencing policy statement. I think the no fee licence starts in october this year. saves 20 quid anyway.
                            If you have the old style licence you can get the DSC endorsement added.
                            Bill Raine
                            I didn't go to work today. The voices told me to go fishing!

Comment

Working...
                            X