Round 4 Whitby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 4 Whitby

We left Cayton Bay at 5am yesterday, a bit cloudy for a change. To be honest we were not too positive about the final trip due to the disappointments of the previous trips. We had brekkie from The Singing Kettle which reminds me of that awful Scottish husband and wife team of kids "entertainers" of the same name!

"Handle, spout, lid of mettle, what's inside the Singing Kettle!" OMG dreadful!

Anyway I digress. We arrived at the boat and were impressed with the set up. A maximum of 8 people, fish bags numbered and tied around the gunnels, so no fish boxes skiting around the deck, a rod holder and mat for each angler station, designated bin and a measurement chart. Really helpful Skipper and your catch filleted at the end of the trip as part of the cost, so paying £6 more than the top price is worth it if you want plenty of room and an organised boat. I also noticed, strangely, that even when mackerel were put in the bags they did not thrash about!?

The weather was quite a surprise when we left the piers with a roughly 4ft swell. This lasted most of the day and made fishing really tough. 6 Ling, 6 Cod and numerous Whiting and Mackerel came to the boat during the day, a lot better than a lot of boats on the day. Let's not worry about who caught what shall we!

A few pictures on the way in, as during the day it was too rough too take any.

Looking back at my reports last Summer from the North East, the weather was rotten, trips were cancelled, but I did get one trip with a few Cod. This year the weather has been amazing for 3 out of 4 trips, but the fishing has been really disappointing. Maybe we will have to go to Norway next Summer, surely there!?

Back home tomorrow and on the whole it has been a great holiday, sunny, fun times as long as I forget I was here for the fishing!!

Lynn is lapping up the fact that she gubbed me again, but a bit miffed at losing her 3rd place in the Ladies Section.
    Last edited by kayos; 11-07-2013, 09:37 AM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Pity the fishing was poor, strange but Whitby Boats tend to do well usually. That looks a well sorted Boat, wish more were like that. Definitely worth an extra bit Dosh.

Comment

I know but with the fishing being slow and an average of say 10 boats out a day during the 3 weeks of the festival, with say 8 people per boat makes it hard to find fish for everyone I suppose. The Cod on JFK and the Ling on Sapphire are both bigger than the biggest so far out of Whitby!

Comment

At least you both caught fish and seemed to enjoy it this time Mark, and as for
        getting gubbed by Lynn, seems nothing changes

Comment

Yea seas a bit lumpy now to that boat looks a cracking set up

Comment

you heard it before i know , but a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work . Although i dont know how to work the whooping in from your lass to make you feel better . Can only say its a lynn thing

Comment

Dont class it as a fishing holiday Mark, class it as a caravan holiday with a spot of angling thrown in, this might soften the blow...

Well done to Lynn though, Scotlands top female angler...

Comment

Originally posted by The Jester View Post
                Dont class it as a fishing holiday Mark, class it as a caravan holiday with a spot of angling thrown in, this might soften the blow...

Well done to Lynn though, Scotlands top female angler...
                Yup, we have loved the whole 12 days really Chris. I lost my 3rd place in the Haddock section too. So near and yet so far!

I won't tell Lynn she may be the top Scottish female angler, couldn't cope with the gloating!

Two summer musical theatre schools to organise and maybe, just maybe a weekend in Hartlepool in August for a sneaky boat trip or two before the real schools go back on the 19th!?

PS The management didn't like my use of shads at the Sea Life Centre!!

Comment

atleast you're 2nd on here with the Pollock..

ooops 3rd after phils last sat...

Comment

Originally posted by easyfish1 View Post
                    atleast you're 2nd on here with the Pollock..

ooops 3rd after phils last sat...
                    Does Lynn's 13.5lb Pollock not count??

Or is it this year's only?

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
                      Does Lynn's 13.5lb Pollock not count??

Or is it this year's only?
                      lynn ? oh, she's 1st..
                      Last edited by easyfish1; 11-07-2013, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X