Slinky Kate Saturday July 13th 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slinky Kate Saturday July 13th 2013

With Tony away on a well deserved break with his better half and with bert having a day off prior to a competition on Sunday this left (luckily for myself) Keith looking for a boat to crew and me with no crew to speak of ....... magic ! , great when two plans come together

So, as per usual Saturdays it was meet up at 4.00am this morning in marina carpark with a view to beating Tonys now currently winning entry in the Marina heaviest fish stakes for 2013 (standing at 12lb 3 oz, a full 2 lbs less after cleaning .......)

We've all noticed I'm sure the weather this week ... hot, sunny, west wind ..... no swell no sea running just begging to be fished, well that ended at lunchtime today as its "the weekend" and weather does not play game.

Nevertheless it was, although a little breezy still a nice morning to be out this morning and confidence was high.
    Off first as the sun was just popping over the horizon to the usual close in wrecks with a view that if they came on the feed early then we'd not cover too many miles as has been the norm of recent times. So confident was I that we left port with 3/4 tank full of diesel rather than a full fuel up.

Although fish did show it became obvious we were still in the clutch of a hard fishing spell. We picked up fish one at a time from most wrecks with the number of whiting and mackerel ever increasing but it's nowhere near our expectations for mid july on what is being classed as maybe the hottest day of the year.

The fish I must add today were caught on a mixture of bait and lures with nothing special being the "taste of the day" but they were good fish and although no so many in number they made up for it in size with a bumper full box between the two of us. (I think I have to admit to being out fished about 2 to 1 by keith today, but he was the guest after all )most were in the 4 to 5 lb bracket with a few in the 7 to 8 lb with both Cod and Ling to the boat.

All in all we did over thirty miles in what I had expected was going to be a not sail far with lots of local fishing day, and did at one point keep a close check on the fuel gauge ... "just in case" ...... but we were fine with lots of spare at the end.

Surprisingly (or maybe not if you look closely at the forecast) the wind turned North East and blew up a hooly by about 11.00am making the fishing nearly impossible with the current flowing northward on the ebb and the wind blowing the boat southward in the stiff breeze causing the lines to stream away from us .... so with a box full, a sunburnt skin and a feeling of success we returned at about 12.00 ....

With Tony's Ling of last week eluding our best efforts to improve upon ...

A big thanks to Keith today .... great stuff.... and dont worry Tone he kept Slinky spic and span ......

just a few pics of the day .....

A Nice Clean Cod to Keith ...

And a one for myself ..

and still more ... all good sized fish ....... Keith "Cool"

Many Thanks again Keith

Hope your enjoying the Break Tony ....

Cheers all, thanks for taking the time to read

norm
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Brilliant report Norman, Thanks very much for a great morning.

I wish my missus would call me to remind me about sun cream, my nose and extended foreheed are stinging a tad.
    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Great report and pics as usual Norm , one of those seasons for picking the odd ones up, but it makes the hunt all the more interesting...

Comment

nice one norman, some nice cod there, well done.
        I was out on monarch this morning but we called it a day around 11am.
        once that wind picked up and changed direction it made it difficult.
        we were doing ok as well with ling to 15lb. I only managed a couple of 5lbers.
        try again tomorrow from Hartlepool, better forecast as well.
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by hulme6612 View Post
          nice one norman, some nice cod there, well done.
          I was out on monarch this morning but we called it a day around 11am.
          once that wind picked up and changed direction it made it difficult.
          we were doing ok as well with ling to 15lb. I only managed a couple of 5lbers.
          try again tomorrow from Hartlepool, better forecast as well.

Aye Chris it came up out of the blue still it made it great fun getting back in over the bar, whoo hoo that was some mixed up area of sea there just outside the piers ....
          good luck on your next trip tomorrow

and Chris "the J" yup we dont want it easy all the time do we ...... but I wouldn't mind it just a little easier sometimes
          still we managed a box full for our teas ......

norm
          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Great report Norman. I am sure there is plenty time left to beat that Ling
            PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Aye jonny I think your right

norm
              ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
              . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Well done on the fishing, lads. Your early start paid off; we could see from the shore that there were a lot of white horses capping the sea by mid morning. Yachts were blasting along but the usual fishing boats were conspicuous by their absence, which was telling of the conditions. Coming back in over the Tyne bar when it's like that can be as exciting as the fishing.

How was the fishing on Monday night?

Comment

as ever! deeply envious!

in the nicest possible way obviously!
                  ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
                  Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Great report Norman and like you say, you and Keith still filled a box! It can't be bad, better than being at work anyway!

Graham.

Comment

As usual, great report and read Norman. Nice stamp of fish too. Like you say, typical weekend weather. I saw the forecast on Friday, saying the wind would go northeasterly, so I didn't bother going out, but pleased yous got a box full for your efforts.
                      P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Well done Norman, good to see you boating a few fish.

Comment

Great stuff lads

Leaking airbed leads to effectively sleeping on the ground last night but heyho!!!

Just braided up the egg whisk and chosen which Slinky Lures I'll be carrying...so hopefully have a report of my own from the next few days...glorious warm weather BTW

See you all again soon!!
                          Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                          I AGREE

Comment

Brilliant report Norman...god I miss fishing.
                            You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

get yasell out there Steve, Norm was just saying you are always welcome.
                              Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Working...
                              X