• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject: Oban Skate comp 26/4/2004 by Gogs

Subject: Oban Skate comp
    gogs

Old Timer

posted on 26/4/2004 at 21:10
    Went to Oban with les and his boat HELLRAISER for the Ayr club match that was postponed from the end of march yesterday,and what a cracking day it was (in more ways than one)long lazy swell and hardly a ripple on the water,we anchored in 420ft dropped the lines baited with coalies (15 inch so well in size you know what i mean )
    we sat down ready for the long wait but it wasnt long before the first fish turned up,a little more than 20 mins on les,s rod.after les set the hook i tried to put the harness on him and it was still set for his bairn so that was chucked to the side and he had to do the hard work himself lol,25 mins later and after four good attempts by the fish to get back to the bottom a nice fish started to show,and was brought into the boat (good tip here,dont wear studded waders in the boat when skate fishing as you slide right across the deck and nearly go over the side with the fish ) after measuring the fish it scaled out to 150lb,just as we slide it back in the water my rod doubled over and we were into another one,ten minutes into the battle as i was lifting to gain line les's new rod that i was using exploded and leaving me with 2/3rds of a rod and only 3 eyes i tried to wind in with the rod the right way up but the line wouldnt move over the side of the eye so i had to turn the rod upside down and wind left handed and backwards 25 mins later another female that went to 148lb was boated and returned.things went quite for a while after the tide settled in,2 hrs later les got another one @ 178lb and not long after he had a good run but the line parted after being damaged with another line caught on it.
    i had just finished frying the sausages and bacon,stuck them in a roll and my rod bent right over and line started screaming of like a tope run after a 20 min battle i have the fish to the surface and it takes one look at me and decides to head back down taking 10yrds of line,get her back up and les looks over the side and she dives again taking 15 yrds this time,soon after she was boated and went to 158lb.
    Jim Hamilton won the day with a cracking fish of 198LB that left him knackered,les got second place and i trailed in third.five boats fished with ten anglers and there was ten skate landed in total with the smallest a mere tiddler of 69lb. all in all a good day out.
    gogs.
    ps i have pics but i can never manage to work the uploader so if somebody knows how to work it,e-mail me and i will send them to you to put them on lol

gogs
    Cheers Alan...
Working...
X