off Sunderland 1/8/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off Sunderland 1/8/13

Boyant by news that JFK has done well on the ling and with the small tides, we left Sunderland at 7am on my little boat.

Tried to get mackies at the pier head, but the water was dirty and with a bit of luck, we pulled 3 in for bait.
    "Aaah" we said "we get them offshore easily...lets go" mistake !!

Went to a new wreck at 3miles. Shad for me and (precious) mackerel bait for Ash. First drop on the shad: result. Pulled an OK ling up alongside the boat....only to lose the fish.
    Seconds later...Ash does precisely the same. We are both angry but still very hopeful.
    We did not get more takes, so off to the 6nm zone. 3 wrecks (again unknown to me) were not great shapes on the sounder and no fish, so I decided to move 3nm to the north to another group of wrecks where I fished well last week. Stopped on the way at another wreck.......and never left it.

Every drop produced either a ling or we lost the tackle.
    We struggled with mackerel for bait and to my surprise, Ash put a ling liver onto his floating trace and --bang- caught a ling on it !!!! We also re-used the baits that already caught ling!

We did not spend longer than 1 1/2 on that wreck when I had to go home (committments).

The count in the end was 7 ling and a cod (on a shad).

Sounds like a nice day out Norbert, pity no mackerel showing though!
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
      Sounds like a nice day out Norbert, pity no mackerel showing though!
      I have to admit, we did not try too hard for the mackies with the time restriction I had.
      On the way home I stopped at the pier head again and we added a few fresh mackerel in no time

Comment

Great report mate, plenty ling showing now....

Comment

Happy days mate

Comment

fish guts are a very underated bait for ling
            Alan

Comment

Good post, yous got there in the end with good results.
              P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Working...
              X