• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject: Lizard catch report 22/07/04 by Doc

Subject: Lizard catch report 22/07
    Doc

posted on 22/7/2004 at 20:14
    Launched at 04:30am, and shot some 30 miles south to carry out some survey work we had to carry out. we got that wrapped up at around 11:45am and decided to fish a couple of wrecks on our way back to Bridlington.

First wreck produced fish every drift although nothing of great size, averaging 6lbs, mainly cod with occasional ling. After an hour or so we started to lose the tide so opted to head off to another near by wreck, which has historically produced better fish, but needs a bit of run. On arrival it was the same pattern as the first wreck, both Dave (topecatcher) and me into fish every drift, then came slack water and the cod kept coming!!!!

The first of the ebb produced an even more frantic session with both of us boating 3 cod per drift with the occasional ling. The cod were of a much better size, averaging around 7-8lb.

All in all an excellent few hours fishing, we called it a day at 15:15pm to get back to base at least 25 miles away (landed at 16:30pm).

Tally for the two of us over a near 4 hour session:

Over 100 cod to 11lbs, many returned to fight another day, but with the ones we kept we ended up with 14 stone gutted (50 cod).

10 ling retained but probably in excess of 15+ put back, best ling weighed in at 13lbs, 2 pollack to 4ls and few bleg (scotchies).

Noooooo mackerel: Hurray

KeithB

Old Timer

posted on 22/7/2004 at 20:24
    WOW! Nice one! (or is that, nice one hundred)

[Edited on 22/7/2004 by KeithB]

Norman

Old Timer

posted on 22/7/2004 at 20:45
    Aye doc , great day by the sound of it ...... when you next up here?

Ell

Unregistered

posted on 22/7/2004 at 22:50
    Almost as good as caught em meself Doc. nice post cheers

jeff

posted on 23/7/2004 at 06:28
    Cracking day mate........3 Cod per drift sounds like fun to me!!!!

Jeff.

boblydon

Old Timer

posted on 23/7/2004 at 15:16
    well done lads,no wonder i cant catch nowt your catching them all

Doc

posted on 24/7/2004 at 11:43
    Aye it was nice to get amongst a few decent fish, there seems to be quite a bit around, although it can be patchy, some wrecks have a fair bit on and others not alot at all, but then I guess its always been like that. It just seems that those that do hold fish appear to have more this year.

It it wasn't for the larger size of fish I'd say the cod recovery plan is working very quickly, although there are a lot of small around, but the larger average size of fish indicates that they are not specifically a direct result of good recruitment, these fish are 4 or 5 years old, so where have they been hiding?

We are off on a four dayer next week so are hoping to hit some wrecks a looooong way off (100 miles +), hopfully have news of a few 20lbers to report next weekend plus pictures if I can work out how to post them

Cheers

Doc
    Cheers Alan...
Working...
X