Slinky Kate Saturday 3rd Aug 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slinky Kate Saturday 3rd Aug 2013

I think putting this in Catch report section may be pushing it a little more of a weather report I think. ....... however...

With last weeks trip out and catch report being a huge success (in as much as the spot is now named "Manic" in Slinky's GPS) it was with great anticipation that we awaited a return today to the same spot...
    All week watching the weather reports and all week thinking Doh it looks to be getting windier and windier., well here it is ..... and yes it was WINDY.
    Along with Tony and I today as our guest was Gregg whos prior engagement on a boat had been cancelled due to impending wind ......... hmmmmm maybe that was not such a bad call really

So, in an attempt to a) miss most of the worst wind and b) catch as much of the ebb as possible it was a 4.00am start that seen the three of us off and down the river to the pier end where we decided to whet a line as it was still too dark to head off ..... sometimes 4.00am is just too early
    After 10 - 15 minutes of extreme drifting in the stiffening south west wind we decided it was light enough to head off to "Manic"

Some $%miles later we reached our chosen spot, all alone this week no other boats around for some reason? 4.00am 20mph wind -maybe ..
    On the first drop and almost at an instant it was all rods rattling, ...... I choose my words especially, rattling not nodding .. this was the usual trait of whiting and, rightly enough they were there in numbers, in fact in very large numbers and very large sizes.
    Unfortunately whiting were not our target fish so it was a quick return and back down for another go, this, along with the "lets go round again we've drifted miles" was the call again and again.
    Foolishly after last weekend we dressed for the sun at the beginning of the trip but unlike the normal of shedding clothing as the sun rises and you warm up today seen all three of us having to bit by bit add clothing as the wind picked up even further and colder.

The drift was impossible, luckily, not to dampen our ardour we did all get a few Cod out and many many many whiting and mackerel in singles doubles and trebles but nothing like the manic cod day last week.
    By 8.00am we had decided it was all too much offshore and headed close in in an attempt to hide close to the land and avoid the wind ...... No chance, it was worse inshore as if somehow the wind had been funnelled into this area.

By 9.00am we decided enough was enough and headed back, not with full boxes but at least enough to feed our familes and await the next time.
    I think a summary of the trip would be ....
    Windy start, Increased Wind offshore, Horrendous Wind Inshore
    ending with a bumpy trip up the river as it was even rough there.

Never mind, we all got fish, we all got Cod and a big thanks to Tony and Gregg for their company and craic all morning.

Just a few traditional pics of the Day ....

Sunrise always worth the wait ....

A double header for Gregg

A big Whiting for Tone ...

and a little Codling for myself

So, until the wind backs off......... happy hooking

norm
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

welldone lads for getting out there ,wally needs beefing up a bit lately hopefully next trip and plenty fish for the wally fund
    Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Well done for giving it a go Norm... and still a few cod landed...

Never 2 weeks the same Norm, but still good to get out fishing...

Comment

Thanks again for the trip out. I enjoyed it even if the cod didn't come out to play.
        Best shore caught fish:- Pollock 6lb+ Beadnell, 9lb 8oz Cod Blyth Beach

Comment

Shame about the wind, I am sure ' Manic' will come good when the wind drops

Nice to see a catch report.
          PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Cheers as ever Norm

Good to have aboard Gregg

...until next time
            Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
            I AGREE

Comment

welldone norm and the same winds killed our day today but a few fish is better than none
              KOMPRESSOR SPORT
              PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
              PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
              OKUMA TRIO 55
              YUKI RUBYMAR
              RON THOMPSON TYRON
              SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

Originally posted by toonboymc View Post
                welldone norm and the same winds killed our day today but a few fish is better than none
                Aye I see your report, well done on getting out and the experience gained is invaluable. A good pair of fillets for your tea though anyway

norm
                ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

well done for getting out and some fish to boot
                  better than staying in bed anyday jeff
                  http://www.kayakfishingshack.co.uk/[B]

Comment

Well Done Men Battling with Mother Nature is a difficult task.
                    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Comment

Well done Norman, I looked at the wind and bottled it! Wednesday is nailed on though before back to work!

Graham.

Comment

Hard won fish Norman. Any other conditions but the wind would be more favorable for our sport.
                        Looks like mid week should be calm, so might give it a go
                        P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Originally posted by canman View Post
                          Hard won fish Norman. Any other conditions but the wind would be more favorable for our sport.
                          Looks like mid week should be calm, so might give it a go
                          Aye arthur ... mid week ... ho hummmm .... never mind just a few more years and I'll be mid-weeking

norm

Graham,... been another hard year for you with lots of missed trips, when are you back?

norm
                          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Working...
                          X