• Show
Clear All

• Subject: Chieftain 5th May - FISHING IN STYLE 8/5/2006 By Jason

Subject: Chieftain 5th May - FISHING IN STYLE
    jason

Old Timer

posted on 8/5/2006 at 15:00
    Here goes

Rang John Brennan the skipper of the Chieftain on Thursday night for the weather check expecting to be blown off for the week end - only to be told that the trip was a goer and to meet the boat in Whitby on the Friday evening at 6pm.

Got to Whitby at 5:15pm only to see no boat but was soon put at ease by the waiting throng (7) of expectant anglers as the boat was out on an 18 hour trip and would be doing a quick half hour turn around. i dumped my kit with the guys and took my car to the marina car park - which have an ageement that you put money in envelope and leave car there until your return. Returned to berth to help load up and we were off.

Plan of attack was to steam 120 miles east of Whitby to the South West of Dogger bank which would take us overnight. Settling in we were then called for dinner which was a very hearty stew followed by cornetto ice creams. Then off to bed.

Woken at 5:50 by the sound of the engines cutting down revs which meant we were on the fishing grounds and we were on the first wreck by 6:05am. Nothing much on this wreck but there were plenty of others to try fished 3 further wrecks before breakfast only taking a few fish off them. All the cooking on board is done by Michelle (John's partner) and each morning she served what can only be described as FULL ENGLISH (sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, eggs, toast, cereal etc) all served on platters so you can eat as much as you want - I DID.

Although the Chieftain only does around 10 knots (gracefully) John the skipper works her really hard and plans exceptionally well when to move as the longer ones were done during meal times so to maximise fishing.

Fed well we resumed our fishing positions and waited for the "OK LADS" down we went and all 8 rods bent into fish resulting in 15 cod for 8 rods and my first ever tripple head of cod (each about 3-4lb). The next hour saw many cod come on board from the wreck which John expertly put us on everytime - no mean feat given that the Chieftain is 80+ feet long. Once that wreck was fished out we moved to another and bang the same for the first couple of drifts and then nothing. The remainder of the wrecks on day one produced a couple of fish for each of us anglers. In between fishing we were fed superbly again - Satay Beef Stir Fry for lunch and roast pork loin and all the trimmings for dinner. We fished 10 or 11 wrecks that day and I can tell you it was a very tired Jason who went to bed at 9pm.

Day 2
    Over night John had taken the Chieftain to our hunting ground for the day and anchored 10 minutes steaming from the first wreck (again great planning as no traveling) which we started to fish at 7 am. This day was not as good fishing as day one with no particular wreck setting the fishing world alight. However one thing I can say is throughout the day John worked hard to find us fish. We fished a total of about 10 wrecks again on day 2 picking odd fish up here and there. Food again was exceptional full english, mince and tatties for lunch and full roast beef dinner for evening meal. After evening meal it was a few wrecks and then into the transit back to Whitby. I was in bed again by 9pm.

Day 3 into Whitby at 6am - goodbyes said to what where a great bunch of anglers - Jim, Chris, Eddie, Mick, Bernard, Stu and Ian - who I would love to fish with again as the craick was excellent it was home to distribute the fish to friends etc.

Chieftain is a graceful old girl with lots of character who is manned by an excellent bunch of people:-
    John Brennan - Skipper who worked all weekend to ensure us his paying customer got as best out of the conditions as he could give us and never gave up trying to find the fish. You may not see much of John as he has a job to do but as I found out if you go up to the bridge and speak to him he will give you all the time in the world and you will find a true charter skipper who cares about his customers, his boat and the environment.

John (crewman) - best filleter I have ever seen no sooner had you caught your fish it was taken away, cleaned, filleted and stowed in the on deck chiller. Nothing was too much for this guy.

Michelle (Galley Slave) - what can i say about this lady from NZ - the hours spent in the galley was unbelievable and the food excellent. Nothing is too much for this lady and if she is not in her galley the policy is help yourself so you will not get hungry. Great company too.

The accomodation is what you expect from a converted navy boat - bunks but it was imacculately clean and comfortable. I have already said all that needs to be said about the food.

Total catch for myself was
    28 cod between 2.5lb and 6.5lb
    5 pollack between 3-4lb
    1 coalie about 4lb
    4 ling to 6lb
    Total weight nearly 3 stone of fillets

Had there been better weather and not an easterly wind the catch would have been better.

I know the price seems a little excessive for a trip on the Chieftain but believe me in my opinion worth every last penny So if you enjoy your fishing, want to sample a trip where you are either asleep, eating or fishing and want to fish wrecks that only John and the crew visit I can thoroughly recomend the Chieftain for what I see as "Fishing as it should be".

KeithB

Old Timer

posted on 8/5/2006 at 16:20
    Great report Jason, sounds like you had a great weekend, I'm tempted to go just for the scran

Oblickta

Old Timer

posted on 8/5/2006 at 19:38
    Great report Jason, I spent a lot of time on Chieftains website lately and definatly gonna have a trip this summer

alan.f

Super Moderator

posted on 8/5/2006 at 22:21
    Nice one Jason

mickthefish

posted on 8/5/2006 at 22:31
    excellent , sounds great !

homer

posted on 9/5/2006 at 01:08
    Smashing report mate

Tadpoleman

Old Timer

posted on 9/5/2006 at 06:13
    Nice one Jason !!
    you must have left the distractor at home as advised-judging by your catch report
    Best report i`ve read on this site well done mate

bert

"Shady" Wilson Flyer 24

Charlie_Thompson

Old Timer

posted on 9/5/2006 at 21:19
    Excellent report m8, thanks for taking the time.

willywetegg

Administrator

posted on 10/5/2006 at 00:26
    Got to agree with Bert. Best report I have read also. Pleased you had a goodun Jason mate.

Jim.

smudger

posted on 11/5/2006 at 14:57
    Brilliant report matey , next time you go your uncle smudger might come with you .

DaveMason

Old Timer

posted on 11/5/2006 at 15:56
    Great report Jason , really enjoyed it . Dont believe she managed to keep you fed for two days like

jason

Old Timer

posted on 11/5/2006 at 16:52
    What you trying to say "cheese and onion pasty man". LOL

jeff

posted on 11/5/2006 at 21:31
    Great report......fishing sounds good....food even better. As most of you know I'm partial to a bit food now and again...!!!!!!

This may just entice a booking from me later in the summer.

Thanks and great report Jason,
    Jeff.

TC

Unregistered

posted on 12/5/2006 at 00:01
    All the contact details (and a photo of the boat) for Chieftain are now in the Charter Boats (Whitby) section.

crewman

posted on 12/5/2006 at 11:26
    Hi Jason.
    Glad you enjoyed the trip last weekend. (On the chieftain) If your wondering who I am? I am the one who filleted your fish.
    We had a decent trip when we went out again on the Wednesday, (weather was kind to us to say the least) fishing was ok. Away again tonight so will have a chat with you (on here) again Jason when I get home. When that will be is another question.
    Again take care Jason, hope to see you again on the boat and don’t forget to keep reading the reports on the web page.
    Great report mate, you’re not a bad angler yourself, you have got a great (unorthodox) action when reeling in your line. Glad you did not mention that fish that you lost.
    I can remember it Jason and I see thousands lost in a season. Don’t worry it will be waiting to have another battle with you next time you come.
    Regards John.

MikeR

Old Timer

posted on 12/5/2006 at 20:23
    Great report

I've been out with John on Chieftain for a 12 hour trip and he really is a nice bloke (just like his dad who used to have 'Mermaid'). When you see his fishfinder you can understand why he gets the big girl spot on every time - it's some sort of 360 degree system which views not only what's under the boat but what's also way in front of it - it is the dogs!

ninga

posted on 13/5/2006 at 18:24
    dont think you could get a better catch report than this one. would have taken me a week to write.

gazzawill

Old Timer

posted on 16/5/2006 at 01:01
    brilliant report mate gona have a look on there website me and me dad fancy a 60hr trip out well done

seems ages ago.

I am now looking to book for next year. Currently there is a 94 hour trip available with 10 places in june which looks tempting.

Regards Jason
    give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X