Eyemouth is Pollocks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyemouth is Pollocks!

Got up at stupid o'clock and was on the road at 510am for the 2 plus hour drive to Eyemouth. A breezy and very wet morning on the west coast but as we drove east and south it cleared up, the wind dropped and we had an uneventful drive down. I had Brian and David for company today.

Arrived at the boat, really large and impressive, even with 12 anglers on and we all got tackled up.

We seemed to leave the black clouds behind us and the water was almost flat.

We motored out for about 10 minutes and spent 20 mins bagging up on mackerel. Not exactly prolific but we all got a few.

We then motored another 30 mins and started the drifts off Pease Bay. We stayed there all day, doing basically the same drift about 200 to 300 yards offshore. At points in the day, I did think we should maybe try a move, but no said the Skipper.

Scenery was amazing.

We then spotted these two anglers. How, or maybe more importantly why did they risk it?

The picture doesn't do it justice, but we couldn't see how they got down there!?

Anyway I digress - the fishing.

After the mackerel bash all three of us baited hokkias and proceeded to catch absolutely nothing for the next hour. Meanwhile a guy - Mr lucky pants - on the other side of the boat had 3 decent cod on a blue shad. Never one to worry about being a copycat I put on a blue shad and within minutes had this nice pollock.

Happy with that I thought - here we go - but no, 3 hook ups but lost all 3 on the retrieve and that was me for the next 2 hours. Apart from losing a lot of tackle, all my 3 blue shads, 3 others and 2 bait rigs that I tried again with, plus about six leads! David and Brian had a small pollock each in the same time, while Mr lucky pants had another 3 cod on shads!

A change to hollow bellies for all 3 of us and the fish started to come to us. Another 3 good pollock to me.

I was happy with that box of fish. David had 2 good pollock too and Brian just 1, but it was the biggest on the boat all day. With about half an hour left, 2 small returned cod for David and 1 for Brian. Mr lucky pants by now had 13 cod and no pollock!

Finally with a few minutes left a cod came to me. Hurrah!

Very happy with my bag, the three of us had fish, 42 keepers onboard including 2 ling and a great day out.

Who needs bait!!
    Last edited by kayos; 07-09-2013, 10:25 PM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Great stuff Mark

Could it be that you should leave Lynn at home more often, maybe she is a jinx...

Comment

Nice one Kayos!! Some good good pollock there, hate the bl!dey taste of them myself like so would have been cursing every time it wasn't a cod!!!!!!

Looks like those lads are at the bottom of the 'Bird Sh!t' island as its known!!! Actually pretty straight forward to get down to!

Comment

Originally posted by The Jester View Post
        Great stuff Mark

Could it be that you should leave Lynn at home more often, maybe she is a jinx...
        Text her to tell her she was summarily dumped Chris!

Comment

Originally posted by CHOPPER View Post
          Nice one Kayos!! Some good good pollock there, hate the bl!dey taste of them myself like so would have been cursing every time it wasn't a cod!!!!!!

Looks like those lads are at the bottom of the 'Bird Sh!t' island as its known!!! Actually pretty straight forward to get down to!
          I love pollock Chopper, plus they fight so much better than cod.

Couldn't see how they got down mate, but obviously there must be a way. Give me a boat everytime. So big and comfortable with tea and coffee, help yourself from the hot water urn and a lovely toilet. Class charter boat!

Comment

glad you had a decent day mark,initially i thought holy moly here we go again.

seems to be a lot of pollock about this year
            AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
              I love pollock Chopper, plus they fight so much better than cod.

Couldn't see how they got down mate, but obviously there must be a way. Give me a boat everytime. So big and comfortable with tea and coffee, help yourself from the hot water urn and a lovely toilet. Class charter boat!
              looks like a cracking boat that! Aye Pollock to give you a good scrap!

If it is Bird Island, here's a report I posted from there during my recent trip back! You can just about see the way down and apart from a little jump its not too bad! gets overfished these days like!!

Comment

Nice one mark you deserved a good day for all the effort.
                Many thanks on a great report and pictures, a great read and whether it's pollack or cod it's still good to have a keeper fish fishting on the line......

nice one ......

norm
                ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post
                  Nice one mark you deserved a good day for all the effort.
                  Many thanks on a great report and pictures, a great read and whether it's pollack or cod it's still good to have a keeper fish fishting on the line......

nice one ......

norm
                  Cheers Norman, had a great day.

Comment

Originally posted by lingking View Post
                    glad you had a decent day mark,initially i thought holy moly here we go again.

seems to be a lot of pollock about this year
                    Loved it Duncan! Was weird how a guy on the other side of the boat had so many cod, no pollock and we only had pollock on our side.

Apart from my cod keeper of course!

Comment

A canny bag of fish for you there mate, well done.
                      Some excellent pics too.
                      People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

mark glad to see you had a good time m8 a few nice fish for your efforts too
                        what weight were the pollocks ????welldone m8
                        KOMPRESSOR SPORT
                        PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
                        PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
                        OKUMA TRIO 55
                        YUKI RUBYMAR
                        RON THOMPSON TYRON
                        SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

Originally posted by CHOPPER View Post
                          looks like a cracking boat that! Aye Pollock to give you a good scrap!

If it is Bird Island, here's a report I posted from there during my recent trip back! You can just about see the way down and apart from a little jump its not too bad! gets overfished these days like!!

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/shore-c...s-st-abbs.html
                          Great boat, seating for all outside plus a big inside cabin with a table and bench seats if it's a dirty day.

Comment

Well done looks like a cracking day.
                            Mick.
                            Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Originally posted by toonboymc View Post
                              mark glad to see you had a good time m8 a few nice fish for your efforts too
                              what weight were the pollocks ????welldone m8
                              No scales, but skipper said mine were about 3lbs, 4lbs, 6lbs and 7lbs plus. He reckoned David's were 5lbs and 6lbs and Brian's 10.5lbs.

I will take that!

Comment

Working...
                              X