Stingray 30.08.2013 Off Into The Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stingray 30.08.2013 Off Into The Blue

Well with the weekend looking a losser due to the very strong West wind that will make wreck fishing not my cup of tea i decided to have a nice long 12hour sesh today with Graham and Dave.

The plan was to bypass all the normal marks apart from a quick stop to bag up on mackerel and head off into the blue to the furthest off Stingray has been in 2013.

But before any fishing was done we required building up for what would be a day to remember, so on went some tins of all day breakfasts

Ok the fishing well as i say we bypassed all the inshore wrecks and our first stop was at 310foot, we plucked away taken a nice pollack, pouting, cod and a ling but nothing to set the world on fire so we moved to a well known area of wrecks and BINGO.

All three of us hitting nothing but cod, sometimes 2 at a time and it was less common to NOT get a cod on the drop or within the first jig than not hook one...all of a great stamp 5-7lb with the odd smaller one and odd bigger one chucked in.

At one point we changed over to flowing traces with half mackerel int he hope of landing some ling to give the cod lifting arm a rest but strangly only 2 ling came in and of a small size.

We kept agreed to keep a few and put back what was not required..

The drift changed direction with a fresh west wind but this never effected the fishing, infact it rewarded Dave with a new PB cod, a cracking 17lb 7oz clean fish.

After the big boy we landed a few more around the 7lb mark but i was itching to target big ling with a host of wrecks within a short range so we left the "cod wreck" and moved around putting large baits down but nothing but cod on the other wrecks as well.

So smiles all round, the weather the drift and the fishing was just perfect for large chunk of the day, infact it was like fishing in Norway (not just because we so close to Norway ) the way you could not get a jig before a cod was on.

So after such a good day what could make it better....well a pod of Minki wales, unsure how many but we watched them for maybe 10 mins as they surfaced and dived.

By 4pm the wind was fresh and the sea was choppy as hell and with over 2 hours of travel ahead of us we headed for home all smiling...yes even me

Sadly i have called the weekend trip off based on the wind and what the drift will be like but i cant wait to wet aline again...the bug is back.

This pic was taken the other day, i forgot to uploaded it from my Mondays catch report....fantasic sight.

................__................................ .............................
    ____[ ~ \_____
    [__On-A-Roll__/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    P.B
    SKATE 204lb
    COD 51lb
    LING 32lb
    TOPE 40lb
    CONGER 25lb
    HADDOCK 10lb
    HALIBUT 37lb
    COALIE 16lb
    BLUE SHARK 55lb

Well done to your m8 on the PB, that's a huge Cod

Glad your long trip was worth the while, that's a very decent haul of fish.
    PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

I dont often loose count of how many we landed Jonny but today we did. the fish in the pic the ones we kept, others went over the side alive along with a pollack, all the ling and a nice 3-4lb coalie.

Great day...still smiling...shame its so bloody far we cant do it very often.
      ................__................................ .............................
      ____[ ~ \_____
      [__On-A-Roll__/
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      P.B
      SKATE 204lb
      COD 51lb
      LING 32lb
      TOPE 40lb
      CONGER 25lb
      HADDOCK 10lb
      HALIBUT 37lb
      COALIE 16lb
      BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Great fishing Richy

Comment

Originally posted by northeast1 View Post

Great day...still smiling...shame its so bloody far we cant do it very often.
          I take it you were slightly NW on the 88's
          The beautifull South

Comment

Some lovely fish mate and well done on the pb
            KOMPRESSOR SPORT
            PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
            PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
            OKUMA TRIO 55
            YUKI RUBYMAR
            RON THOMPSON TYRON
            SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

It was another great day out at sea & with plenty good fish.

A huge thank you to Richy for getting me a new PB Cod too
              Tight lines
              Davy

Comment

excellent report and pictures richy.
                well done dave on a new pb
                Chris

Comment

What a good decision to bypass the closer wrecks and head "off". Great read and photo's. It must be tough to leave the cod and look for ling, only to find......more cod. What a great day you gave the two lads. Nice one Rich.
                  P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

You were not at the Graveyard ?!?!

70 nautical miles return!?

Did you drill for fuel out there :-)

Cracking report. Shows that sometimes the good old times are still there

Comment

Originally posted by Kartonkel View Post
                      You were not at the Graveyard ?!?!
                      Not on the quoted depths he wasnrt he he

Sean
                      The beautifull South

Comment

Great fishing lads, well done on the PB Dave.
                        Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Cheer's Richy For Yet Another " LOVELY DAY OUT", cant believe that was only my ninth trip out.
                          Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Comment

Well done richie, great stuff mate...

norm
                            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

a trip not to be forgotten in a hurry rich,especially as fish are in general hard to come by.well done to all
                              AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Working...
                              X