Eleda 5th sept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eleda 5th sept

Decided to take the day off and make the most of the weather that promised to be , picked melamine up at 6.30 and left the marina sometime after 7.00.
    We went out to a wreck that had produced for me the last time out and Mel filled a box with mackerel whilst I took a cod or three on pirks .
    The drift was perfect , even though the sea was a bit lumpy, to say the least
    Mel changed to a pirk but failed to connect with anything but the wreck.
    I decided to move to a wreck that I knew would fish well with this drift and sure enough the cod came , one every drift for me and none every drift for Mel
    I don't know what he was doing wrong but he couldn't catch a cod to save his life
    Slack water was imminent so I suggested a move to another wreck where we could try for a big ling , Mel was all for it and we set off .
    We both baited up with a full mackerel fillet each and I put the boat bang on top of the wreck , the leads were on the bottom for maybe 30 seconds before mels rod bent over and at last he was into a fish, and a good one , but no sooner had he felt the weight it was gone.
    He was gutted , but within three seconds my bait was taken , and my rod bent over , this was a good fish as well. I made the most of the situation by telling Mel it felt huge and was probably the same fish that had just let go of his bait.
    It weighed 13lbs and I was about to chuck it over he side and Mel said to keep it, I thought about it and decided it would probably die anyway as it's stomach was blown out and killed it.
    I then sat and filleted all my cod and turned to the ling which I wasn't looking forward to, and even though the sea had calmed down considerably from the morning , I managed to fillet not only the ling, but my little finger as well
    That'll teach me to take the p out of o someone not catching
    Now the wife wants me to go to the hospital to have it checked , she won't look at it herself though
    A great day out spoiled by a half a second not watching what I was doing.
    Last edited by oldessox; 06-09-2013, 08:32 AM.

Great stuff Ray!

John who does our fish has been filleting fish all his life but even he wears a glove doing ling.
    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

oucheasy done ray i have been in the "every blighters got a fish except me" camp manys a time and it aint a good place to be

sound like a productive day for you at least
      AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Nice trip out thou, today looked canny sea conditions wise...glad you got a few
        ................__................................ .............................
        ____[ ~ \_____
        [__On-A-Roll__/
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        P.B
        SKATE 204lb
        COD 51lb
        LING 32lb
        TOPE 40lb
        CONGER 25lb
        HADDOCK 10lb
        HALIBUT 37lb
        COALIE 16lb
        BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Great report Ray Well done on the double ling Commiserations on the pinkie...

Comment

Think I saw you Ray heading towards Shangri-las wreck behind the island, was out getting mackerel on a coble to the north of you. Water gin clear out there but manky inshore.Well done on getting some fish, got plenty macky and good sized.

Comment

Great Report Ray, shame about the cut finger ... ;(

well done mate

norm
              ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
              . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
              ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

I'm just back from the hospital, the nurse asked if it was a clean fish I was filleting
                It's not that bad, I knew it would happen sooner or later , a bouncing boat , a slippery fish and an arthritic filleter with a razor sharp knife are not a good combination
                Apparently if you've had two tetanus boosters you're covered for life , but a sliced finger is not a tetanus wound anyway
                Just have to keep it dry and watch for signs of infection ( cos it was a dirty fish )

Colin, I was fishing off the Cresswell skeers, there's a uboat down there that always has fish on it but i find it a pain to fish unless the drift is spot on , today the drift was perfect, the speed and direction were constant , drift after drift and the direction was spot on to come over that sub , I was telling Mel exactly when we would hit a fish , but for some reason , I got one every time and he never got one yet

Comment

Sorry to hear about the finger Ray but at least you got a few nice fish!

Comment

Good read,sounds like you had a mint day

Comment

Originally posted by oldessox View Post
                      )

Colin, I was fishing off the Cresswell skeers, there's a uboat down there that always has fish on it but i find it a pain to fish unless the drift is spot on , today the drift was perfect, the speed and direction were constant , drift after drift and the direction was spot on to come over that sub , I was telling Mel exactly when we would hit a fish , but for some reason , I got one every time and he never got one yet
                      Know where you were now Ray, that's U115 according to my book it was sunk 29/09/1918 by HMS Ouse and HMS Star and was 650 tons! wonder theres much left of it.

Comment

Lol Ray, He who laughs last...... Well done mate, when it's your day everything goes right........well, most things
                        P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Working...
                        X