Craster today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craster today.

We managed to find a gap in the weather now that the wind had dropped and had a trip out today with Dougie at Craster. The day started very slowly, most probably because of it being low water when we went out but as soon as there was some movement things started to pick up. It was difficult to pinpoint what worked best as fish were taken on fish baits - squid & blacks, mussel and peeler, baited hockeyes of different colours, white shads and daylights all worked. If I was to say what worked best overall probably the daylights would come out on top. The event of the day was when a dark shadow appeared from the depths and almost caused the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up and send a shiver down my spine when the amphibious shadow broke surface some 6feet away from me - Porpoise or Dolphin? I've no idea of the difference, however it did answer to the name "Freddie" or was it "Flipper." A magnificent site, especially when it came up and around the boat a couple of times. How nice it is to appreciate the magnificent sites nature produces. Anyway back to fishing: there were 8 of us on board and in total some 65 sized cod made it to the score cards, innumerable fish were returned. 3 Pollack were caught, only about a dozen mackerel and a couple of very young ling, also a herring. The biggest cod touched the 7lb mark and the largest Pollack was 4lb. The majority of cod averaged some 3 to 4lb. Sorry no photo's taken today.
    The point system we had, was a cod of 35cm got 5pts and for every cm over that a further point.Scores for the day were:-
    Paul 175pts & won the sweep for the biggest fish.
    Les 168pts
    Ian 165pts
    Pierro (me) 138pts
    Pete 68pts
    Adam 52pts
    Tim 28pts
    Bob 17pts
    A big miss of the day was not having big Mick Dunn who's usually looking for Hughie in between catches. Sorry you couldn't make it Mick. A big man and a big miss, never mind Mick we'll see you next week A message to Ed if you're reading this: get the ball leads made mate, I'll be on the phone for some more as the tackle hungry Craster rough ground has swallowed up a few more cwt today.
    All in all a great day, the weather held up well for us with only the occasional shower and everyone had a great time. Now looking forward to the next trip which is Hartlepool on Monday: lets hope the good weather prevails.
    Last edited by pierro; 18-09-2013, 09:26 PM. Reason: additions

I caught around the same amount of fish as I did lost complete rigs today, 13.
    I'm looking for stronger braid !

Comment

excellent report pierrom great reading thanks for the time and effort to write it up.
      Certainly sounds as if everyone had a good day and the scores were fairly level so must have been good for all, certainly shows the fish are still there.

Great stuff, thanks again

Norm
      ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
      . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
      ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

good report and catch,we fished the same area more or less for not a lot last week
        AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Nice report mate,sounds like a good day out.WELL DONE.

Comment

Great report and great catch..

Comment

Well done Peter. I found out I had a spot but had unfortunately made other plans. Never mind looking forwards to comp on Monday.
              Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Working...
              X