No announcement yet.

Hartlepool today (23rd September 2013)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hartlepool today (23rd September 2013)

Just got back from a good day out at Hartlepool. Comp involving some 32guys on three boats, Ali Cat, Famous and Wandering Star.
    It was a really hot day, back to summer and the sea was flat calm with very little in the way of movement.
    Fish caught included, Cod & Codling, Ling, Wrasse, Gurnard, Plaice, Wolf fish (I think I got a glimpse of one), Whiting, Pouting, Haddock, Mackerel and a Thornback Ray. The main species of the day being the Ling.In total some 228 fish troubled the score cards which did not include lots of undersized which were obviously thrown back. The longest fish and best fish of the day was a Ling of some 94cm.
    Personally I was disappointed with my result, which only amounted to 1 x ling, 4 x whiting and a nice plaice. I also caught a Grey Gurnard which was a new species for me, caught on a cream hokkai with blue flash tail however this was not on the scorecards and so didn't count
    My disappointment was quashed a little when I saw the many scorecards of others who had even a worse day then me, so all in all I don't suppose my result was not too bad, County Average I suppose
    I've written myself note, "must try harder next time, and listen to Gary". It was difficult to establish what worked best, Hokkais, bait only, and daylights all worked. I have to take my hat off though to Gary Robson, the helping hand on Ali Cat. Gary pulled out all the stops by showing his expertise in between carrying out his crew duties, he pulled up a beauty cod weighing in at 15lb 2 ozs. Caught I believe, on a sandeel type lure with tinges of green in it. Well done Gary, the advice you provide is always welcomed and you certainly showed us how it's done today. What a pity you weren't in the sweep for the heaviest fish - oh how sad lol, never mind mate you can't have it all ways!! However you have the prestige of knowing you got the best fish of the day. Well done again m8.
    Sadly not many pic' boys, but I have included one for the album of Gary & his Cod and also my new species, the gurnard.
    A big thank you to all of the skippers involved who did their very best to put us onto the fish and for all of the advice given by all those skippers and crew. We all had a great day out finished off by an excellent chicken curry, rice and chips in the Marina Yacht club - yum yum
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pierro; 23-09-2013, 09:57 PM. Reason: addition

Great report and a lovely cod well done to all.

Comment

Aye a good day. I was on same boat as Pierro. Tried my bollocks off to get a Ling but nee luck. My total for the day was three whiteys.
      Mind around me I saw Haddock pulled up, The Wolfish, Gurnards, whitey, Cod, big Ling. Peters Plaice.
      My secret weapon of orange octopus lures on 7-0 hooks failed miserably. Not one thing on them. Baited with worm-mackerel and squid. My black hockeyes got my Whiting. All in all a sh-t day for me but u got to be in it to win it.
      Big failure was not taking any rippers to load with mackerel........Lesson learned again.
      Tight lines and special thanks to our club secretary Kev Woodcock for all the work he put into organising a good day out.
      Mick. Oh and thanks to John for delivering the worm from NETS. Top dollar stuff.
      Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Working...
      X