The Cowpen Queen 24/09/13 Miles and Miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cowpen Queen 24/09/13 Miles and Miles

With the huge high over the North sea it was off we went into a flat calm sea just after first light. The intention today was to plot a load of new further off wrecks out and hopefuly catch a few cod for tea!
    The fishing today was what I would call bloody hard work! Pirking in 95metres of water for is some workout for little return! I think you don't notice the fatigue as much when you are nailing them which unortunately was not the case today!
    We did get a few fish though:

The above s Micky hooked up with the solitary cod of the day!
    And me below with a big poddler, we had a couple today mixed in with the whiting!

We fished in total today 23 wrecks for one cod, a few coalies, a few ling and a few whiting covering 83 miles in total. It was a great day to be out with the sea mirror like and only the fog and drizzle at the end spoiling things and making the way back to Royal Quays interesting to say the least!

At one point we were 7 miles from the main group of the Graveyard wrecks and were going to go but with it getting late we deceided to leave it for next season.

The highlight of the day by far was a 12-15 foot basking shark swimming wthin 15 feet of the boat, I will put the video on later, I tried to tempt him with a Slinky shad but the shark was having none of it!

All in all a great day but minus the fish! We have learned a load of new wrecks and the next trip off I will be securely anchored just off whitley next to Arthur pulling them in two at a time!

Graham.

At least you'll have them wrecks plotted in for next time out and can just turn up and fish , no getting dizzy driving back and forth plotting them in 😀

How are you's likeing the new vessel ❓

Comment

Great report Graham Plenty new marks though for next year, and seeing the basking shark is something special...

Comment

Nice One Lad's Nothing Better Than "A Lovely Day Out"
        Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Comment

Excellent report lads .... shame about the lack of fish, but your not alone there. I fear it's simply been a difficult season, they come they go but then they return again, heres to the next time ......

ps maybe have to make some bigger slinky shads for the basking sharks

norm
          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
          ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

excellent report lads. I was out in big compo from Hartlepool Monday 23rd Sept. It was hard work with cod few and far. Ling seemed to be best catches. Personally I struggled.
            Mick.
            Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Codfather View Post
              At least you'll have them wrecks plotted in for next time out and can just turn up and fish , no getting dizzy driving back and forth plotting them in 😀

How are you's likeing the new vessel ❓
              Still loving the boat Martin, she's great. The flush deck makes everything easy to was down particularly mackerel scales! nice and comfortable with a good bit of speed.
              I think that is us for offshore trips this season, it seems the fish have done one so it will be anchored/up tiding for the first time next time off, maybe!
              How have you been faring this season mate?

Graham.

Comment

Nice report, its a different world when your that far out aint it

Did you run into the Longastine trawler fleet? its some sight when you see a line of boats thats far out at sea.

Anywya not many fish but seems you had a good day, season comming to an end but not just yet
                ................__................................ .............................
                ____[ ~ \_____
                [__On-A-Roll__/
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                P.B
                SKATE 204lb
                COD 51lb
                LING 32lb
                TOPE 40lb
                CONGER 25lb
                HADDOCK 10lb
                HALIBUT 37lb
                COALIE 16lb
                BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Wow! 83 miles, that's a lot of steaming time but great report, with a mirror flat sea. The deep wrecks seem to have struggled a bit from time to time this year, but next season could pay dividends with those wrecks now plotted. See yous round the can area soon....... Wouldn't want to bump into that ferry in the fog
                  P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

A few pictures of the basking shark, amazing to see it so close up lazily swimming about with its mouth wide open! Didnt seem bothered at all by the boat

Comment

Nice pics Micky. Never seen a basking shark out their yet.

Aye the self draining deck is handy Graham.

We had a few trips out early season but were pretty poor fish wise, then the arrival of our baby girl put the boat on hold for a little while

To make the best of the last of the season we moved the boat up to seaham marina lately to try it out. So been busy plotting new marks. Had fairly decent fishing, mainly smallish fish but plenty of them.
                      Will have to follow the jester next timeout

Canny bunch of lads at seaham and nice marina.

Hopefully out tomorrow, maybe Saterday if the wind behaves, before we move back to Hartlepool in a week or two.

Comment

Surely the season is going to go out with a BANG and end in a High with the comp on the 29th, it will be interesting to see what wins it.
                        Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Comment

Again, the weather doesn't look very good for Sunday, fresh south easterly's
                          P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Working...
                          X