Slinky Kate 20th May 2007 - Fish Fish Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slinky Kate 20th May 2007 - Fish Fish Fish

Well, the wind did drop off somewhat today (although not completely) and boy was I glad I`d sorted some bait out on saturday . . .
    Having bait organised left me with the choice of a real early start to hit top of the tide (6.30am ish), so I set off from marina at 5.00am (Solo today)
    I had promised the better half a few tasks i`d do in the afternoon so this fit in well with an early start (in fact I only planned to fish for a few hours today)

It was really quiet out there on a Sunday at that time of the morning, no calls on radio, no other boats, not like an early start on Saturday when bert and lads with shady and Kenny on the boys are already emptying the wrecks at 5.00am.

Decided not to give the wrecks a go today since there was still the residue of the big wind of the last few days which was SW which is exactly the same direction the tide would be heading after about 7.00 ish so went to hard ground in shelter of the coastline , ie st marys close in (Steve will know the EXACT spot).

Started slowly with a couple of missed fish halfway up, it was soooooo cold, and still a bit lumpy.. Then to get a text from Keith saying hes been to the beach and it looks all fine and warm and flat out there ..... beach ? was that california Keith ?

Still, the wind eased, the sun rose, the sea calmed , then ............ like magic the fish came on the feed, again and again and again from top of tide to 2 hrs down (till about 9.00am) was sheer poetry (in fishing terms)

Ended up with 12 codling all good pan sized between 2lb and 4 lb with lots put back for next time.

At one stage I thought it was the tactics with every fish being taken on bottom hook with ragworm, than that was shattered when the next couple were on top hook with squid ..... LOL then all that went out the window when I decided not to bother baiting but just fishing lures (daylites) and they still kept coming.

left early with me 12 codlings so I could keep the rest of the family happy ....

Not a lot of pictures taken today since I was on my own, however here`s a nice pic of the end result

24 prime pan sized fillets (or in another way potentially 24 plates of cod`n`chips)

]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

oot again norman

well done mate, see your awfully slick with the fillet knife

stuck at home this weekend, diy

cheers

glen
    clingons on the starboard side

Comment

LOL glen, the fillets don`t usually get to come off clean till towards the end of the season after a bit of practice but this year there`s been lots to practice on early ....
      ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
      . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Well done Norman

Honestly it was glorious on Tynemouth beach at 7.0am or maybe I was comparing it to Desert Storm yesterday
        Cheers, Keith.

Comment

And just as many crabs keith eh?
          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Sounds like a good way to spend a Sunday morning. I hope the season carries on how it's started.

Well done for getting up and getting out Norman, I still have transport problems but should be sorted for next weekend
            Regards, Graham

Comment

Nice one Norman ,It's a magical spot that ,I hope they fought as well as usual
              You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Aye Steve, as ever ..... so much so that often what seemed to be a big fighting 6lbdr LOL came up as a tommy codling and had to go back

LOL just like this one ...

Last edited by Norman; 20-05-2007, 06:41 PM.
                ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Great photo because it sums up what fishing is all about for me.

Angler with tiddler...and he has a smile cos he is happy..its the taking oart that counts ...or on a more simple analysis...its better than working.

I dont think I have evr put a picture on here cos I dont know how ...but if I do you can be sure I will have the same smile as that person

Cheers
                  Dave
                  Save our Sharks Member
                  SACN NE Regional Co-Ordinator
                  NSFC RSA representative

Comment

Dave that's me ,the sport Norman has put us into over our many times fishing there is second to none ,every codling puts up a great account of itself on the way up ,regardless of size ,the fight always makes me smile.
                    You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Nice one Norman,great report
                      Cheers Alan...

Comment

Its finally dawned on me, its Normans cunning plan to win the boat comp. catch all the fish before the comp so there'll be none left for anyone else.
                        ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
                        Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Nice one mate. The boat season has well and truly kicked of, this weekend coming up should see a lot of fish on the hard ground hopefully with the smaller tides.

Comment

i mark were gana try and nail all the fish sat/sun so theres nowt left, cannot make the comp unfortunatley

good luck to all mon

cheers
                            glen
                            clingons on the starboard side

Comment

Nice one Norman looks like you did better than the pair of us.

Some quality filleting done their aswell, i'm slowly gettin better, thanks to Alan's video.

Comment

Working...
                              X