Skate trip 9th-10th of Nov 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skate trip 9th-10th of Nov 2013

This was my 7th trip upto the wilds of north west Scotalnd to try for them monster skate that are becoming rarer every year despite what the experts say.

Anyway myself and two mates set off on the long 6hour drive on Friday for a two day boat trip. We arrived at the bnb just before dust and boy it was cold.

View from my bnb window

The following morning we got up had a full english and set off at 8am for our boat trip, the weather was not nice and rain wind and temps around 1c.

4 lines down with a mix of baits that included, pollack, mackerel, octopus and coalie and within the first 1hr Terry had his first ever skate a male for 144lb so things looked good but......that was it skate wise.

We did all hit thornbacks upto 10lb, conger upto 30lb, bullhuss upto 8lb and the dogfish.

After a nice meal out and a few drinks it was to bed and up again for day two, we woke up to a slight covering of snow on the ground but no wind at all and the sun just starting to come out so this looked more promising.

Set off and once again 4 rods down with a host of baits, we had a couple of runs between us then a litte tap and run, i grabbed the rod struck and it was solid, 2nd skate of the trip on.

After 1hr 10mins up came the fish, i have had skate just shy of 200lb but never managed to break into that select club of over 200lb mark...until now.

A 204lb female!!!!!! unreal, we got her checked over and got her back in straight away.

After that we had a couple more thornbacks and dogfish but no more skate runs at all. This was the least amount of skate we have ever had in a two day trip but the most thornbacks and conger.

Uuntil April and my next trip at them
    ................__................................ .............................
    ____[ ~ \_____
    [__On-A-Roll__/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    P.B
    SKATE 204lb
    COD 51lb
    LING 32lb
    TOPE 40lb
    CONGER 25lb
    HADDOCK 10lb
    HALIBUT 37lb
    COALIE 16lb
    BLUE SHARK 55lb

Great read Ritchie shame there wasn't more for you's but that's fishing. Well done lads
    And a huge well done on breaking the 200lb mark
    Last edited by david.northeast; 11-11-2013, 07:34 PM.
    PB SHORE COD 9LB 14oz seaton sluice 3/11/12
    PB BOAT COD 9lb 15oz
    PB COALIE 9lb 8oz
    PB LING 7lb 8oz

Comment

Absolute cracking catch mate well done on the skate a need a trip up there one year.mint report mate well done!
      Pb cod 7lbs (1.12.12) Tynemouth.

Best cod since (1.09.13)

4lbs 3oz (11.10.13) Tynemouth.

4lbs 7oz (18.10.13) Tynemouth.

5lbs 3oz (8.11.13) Tynemouth.

Comment

Fantastic report and photos Richy. Second day's weather looks great, was lovely here too.

Just an aside - How did you manage to get a full English breakfast in Scotland!?? Surely it was a full Scottish!!
        2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Mint fish and nice report ;D
          Cod can only juge me if am a haddock https://www.facebook.com/groups/141034916010629/

Comment

Well done on breaking the 200lb barrier after coming so close last year Rich.

That is some achievement.
            Tight lines
            Davy

Comment

cracked it rich wel done,a few other species too
              AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

What, no photo of the breakfast!!!!

Comment

Great report and photos

It would take my arms till April to recover after reeling that beast in.
                  Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Well done m8 on the PB. Truly a beautiful monster
                    PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

well done on the skate
                      what bait did it take
                      when my mates were up in October the skate were favouring the octopus rather than the mackerel thanks for posting jeff
                      http://www.kayakfishingshack.co.uk/[B]

Comment

Mine came on a 3 mackerel bait, my mates came on a full coalie about 2lb. We never got a fish on the octopus but i agree its often the top bait.

Looking at the chart the fish i landed will of been over 80 years old, it is still amazing to think a fish can make it past all the nets etc and live 80 years.
                        ................__................................ .............................
                        ____[ ~ \_____
                        [__On-A-Roll__/
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                        P.B
                        SKATE 204lb
                        COD 51lb
                        LING 32lb
                        TOPE 40lb
                        CONGER 25lb
                        HADDOCK 10lb
                        HALIBUT 37lb
                        COALIE 16lb
                        BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Well done Rich great stuff and as ever an excellent and well put together report with great pictures.

Astounding

norm
                          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                          ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

sum great pics m8 well done

Comment

That is a fish of a lifetime Rich, spot-on mate, all the effort, worth it.
                              Excellent report and photo's too.
                              P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Working...
                              X