Upholder - 31/05/07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upholder - 31/05/07

Fished Upholder yesterday skipperd by Dave Builth out of Amble - http://www.ambleboatcharter.com/fishing.htm

Left the harbour at 7.30am, feeling optomistic as the weather was better than had been predicted by the forecasters! There were 9 of us onboard so plenty of space on the 35ft Offshore 105.

There was a canny swell as we headed north to some rough ground, but Dave thought the water was a bit coloured. After 4 locations and only a few coalies his suspisions were confirmed and we headed further out to find some clearer water.

As we motored out to the 5 mile mark, the swell seemed to ease, and it wasn't long till we arrived to the spot, the water crystal clear. As Dave got the boat into position we readied our lines. Given the all clear down went baited feathers. Straight away we were into mackerel, sometimes 5 at a time and big one they were too. After 1/2 an hour of mackerel and tangles the tide eased and Dave called for lines in, before moving to a wreck mark he had in mind. I changed to large hokkais baited with mackerel chunks to avoid hooking any more mackerel.

At the wreck down went the lines, and as my line hit the bottom, I felt resistance straight away and began to wind in. Something better was definately there, and it wasn't long before my first boat cod of about 6lb came spiraling up from the depths. I was chuffed to pieces. Not a monster but one to remember.

As we hit slack water, the fishing went off a bit, but as the tide turned things picked up. By the end of the day the boat had a load of mackerel, about 20 cod ( i had 2 at about 6lb and 2 at 3lb), 1 ling, 1 scotchie, and a few coalies.

A great day and would definately recommend Dave. He kept moving till he found the fish and was always there sorting tangles and manning the net.

Can I also thank everyone that has answered my questions on Nesa over the past few weeks and to KeithB who sorted me out with some lead weights, pirks and boat traces.

cheers

Stu
    Last edited by Stuey; 01-06-2007, 12:05 PM.

Great stuff Stu, well done on the 6lber

Did you try the pirks?
    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Didn't try the pirks this time round Keith, will put them into action on my next outing.

cheers

Stu

Comment

I've only just been converted to pirking, 3 or 4 rips and I would get bored (assuming I wasn't snagged on hitting the bottom as usual) and revert to bait fishing, but I'm now convinced the pirks catch the bigger fish especially at this time of year. Just ask Lucky Eddy!
        Cheers, Keith.

Comment

with it being my first trip out, i was happy just to let the lead hit the bottom, wind up about 5 turns and then jig my hokkais up and down. Only caught the bottom a few times but managed to pull free luckily.

stu

Comment

Nice one stuey, great report and great pics
            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

great report there stuey and some nice fish

well done mate

glen
              clingons on the starboard side

Comment

Well done Stuey ,keep it up.
                You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Nice one Stu,great photo's
                  Cheers Alan...

Comment

nice report mate keep em coming

Comment

Working...
                    X