Elsie May V1 13/8/07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elsie May V1 13/8/07

today could be called a very short notice trip or a very late trip as I slept in yesterday.

I finally decided to renew my launch permit from sunderland after looking around at alternatives. So this morning at 9am I decided to go fishing...no crew at short notice but a phone call on sunday evening reporting a shark sighting about nine miles off souter lighthouse set me off on my favourite subject. So chuck on the shark gear ...up to the marina office..pay me money and thats me set for another year.

Headed out about 11.45...my "informer" had mentioned a wreck 9 miles off souter lighthouse. A quick study off the gps and I chose a mark in that area. The sea is flat calm ...I have a full tank of juice and I'm wearing sunglasses

On my way I was approaching a wreck marked on the charts so decided to detour and have a look. Also an opportunity to get some bait. I turned the boat around and faced the wind and thought "Oh...theres a lot of white caps when you look back into the wind" (or words to that effect).

I had been travelling at about 24 knots with the wind...comfortable and no worries...I have to say that if I had not stopped to check out that wreck I would have continued to my planned target 9 miles out.

Found the wreck and tried a few drifts but with drift speeds of 2.5 knots its hard to hold bottom. Nothing caught. So its decision time...continue out to the planned area or turn back.

Well it was uncomfortable but not dangerous so I opted to try further out but aware of the changing conditions..the further I went the worse it would get.

By the time i had reached about 6.5 miles out things were certainly picking up...a quick drift over another wreck...and I do mean quick...things were getting up to 3 knots...decision made ..time to head back.

Reverse coarse and slow down...It was a rough ride straight into a s/westerly and the wind was getting up...I got wet and the max speed I could do was about 8 knots.

Back inshore it was a different climate alltogether. I spotted an intresting looking ground feature about 1/2 mile of hendon dock. Looked like a satelite view of Jordan with a nice gulley in between. Dropped the anchor in about 30 ft of water with a plan of fishing the channel ( about 50 ft wide) between the two bulges. By the time the anchor held in the wind I had crossed from the southerly boob ...over the clevage and was on the northerly hump with the channel about 30 yards to the south on some very rough ground. Fish finder showed less than 30 ft but the channel was 15 ft deeper.

Two bait rods out ..one with a pennel 0/4 and a full squid.. and the other with a running ledger, 0/3 kamasan uptide and loaded with mussel which I collected at the bottom of the slip on the off chance. (proved to be a good move) Both aimed at the deep slot but the wind was against tide and the boat was swinging heavily with every gust of the wind.

First bite to the full squid within 5 minutes. Nice codling of 3 lbs. This was followed by a hectic hour with the majority of fish coming to the mussel. Nothing huge but 13 fish with a best of 5.5 lb in an hour changes a day from a disaster to a result in very quick time. An excellent hour then all went dead.

Had I caught them all or had the turn of the tide moved them on. Its a narrow channel about 50 ft long so the possiblity that I had cleared out the residents was in mind. With the tide flowing in the opposite direction it made sense to me to up anchor and try the opposite bank. Nothing for 2 hours so I pulled up the anchor and drifted inshore...nothing more caught.

Time for home...good day had ...three keepers for six fillets.

Great day and a lot learned. (Main thing learned was to check whats happening behind you)

Cheers
    Dave
    Save our Sharks Member
    SACN NE Regional Co-Ordinator
    NSFC RSA representative

Nice report Dave and I'm glad it all turned out well for you ,funny how the fishing can just switch off .
    You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

It was a heaven sent hour...13 fish to one person ...take into account baiting etc ...thats a busy hour.

Then a switch is switched...and they stop.

Thats part of fishing....why..

Same place ...same tactics...same bait...WTF

I moved about 50 yards south as the tide had turned, to take me to the other side of the gulley...perhaps they moved with the tide.. not the case if the results are anything to go by.

Never mind if fishing was easy we would all take up golf

Cheers
      Dave
      Save our Sharks Member
      NSFC RSA representative

Comment

I'm sure everyone has a theory on the switch thing Dave I have several ,although every theory I have when boat fishing seems to get contradicted somewhere down the line and I'm sure I'm not alone there .
        You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Sorry i could'nt make it Dave , ive got a hospital appointment to look forward to ,looks like i got kidney stones ...

Comment

Nice one Dave, it's great when you get a mad hour like that.
            Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Nice one Dave - Ok days fishing in the end
              Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
              I AGREE

Comment

i like the sound of jordans gulley and cleverage lol
                Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Certainly was a good day.

I have had a PM from someone who knows the mark we fished and they call it "t*ts" for exactly the same reason I described it.

Was nice that I only had one whiting all day and all the cod were stuffed with hard backed crabs.

No pipe fish to be seen and even strager ...where are all the jelly fish?. This time last year it was agony hauling an anchor.
                  Save our Sharks Member
                  NSFC RSA representative

Comment

nice report mate keep up the good work

Comment

Nice one Dave, as Steve said, we have many a conversation about this swith on/off process, it happens all the time but for what reason ???? strangely, listening to VHF the swithch happens over an area of several miles all at the same time ????????????

LOL but it`s great when you get there at the turn on bit LOL

well done mate. great report.
                      ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                      . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                      ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

well done mate and good desicion on turning for home
                        sounds like a fun filled hour mate

Comment

Working...
                        X