Amble 27 Aug 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amble 27 Aug 2022

I had meant to post my trip from the previous Sunday, but work got in the way. That particular Sunday hadn't been promising at all, with small tides and quite strong westerlies, but it turned out to be a good session, bagging several decent pollock to 5lb, and several nice codling which we weighed at between 4 and 5.5lb. And about a dozen codling each of 2-3lb, plus some pout, coalies and mackerel. We usually find small tides like those not very productive, and so were pleasantly surprised.

Which brings us to our latest trip. The omens were all good - very light winds and a moderate tide. And warm and sunny to boot. It was flat calm all day. Wonderful. The only negative was that the fish hadn't received the memo.

Oli and I sailed from Amble at 08.30, heading north to Craster. Arriving there, we noticed there was a distinct green tinge to the water, and very little bird activity. We gave it a go for an hour or so, but my best fish was a 2lb pollock, and though Oli was finding a few codling, it was not impressive for an hour's effort. So we headed out to some 3 mile wrecks, only to find that the early boats had got there first. One in particular kept trying to block us off from the wreck, but without catching himself. After he left we started to pick up some codling to around 4lb. Not long thereafter, a dive boat showed up, and whilst having the decency to wait patiently for us to finish, we opted to go further out where it seemed less congested.

The water clarity out at 6 miles was vastly improved, and we were surrounded by all manner of sea birds. all actively working the bait shoals. Very reassuring to see that avian flu had not slaughtered them all. By now, the current had picked up, which cut the time over the wrecks, but did prompt a few better fish to take the lures and mackerel-baited hooks. While I had a frustrating time with lost tackle and a knot in the braid on my reel, Oli was picking up a couple of cod to 4lb and a small ling. Out there it was hot and sunny, so when we motored back inshore to try the hard ground again we found it had clouded over and was a little chilly in comparison.

The greenish hue to the water had dispersed but the fishing was still intermittent. I had pollock to 4lb but very few codling. Oli fared a bit better but overall, the result was not as good as in last week. Talking to others back at the marina it seems we were not the only ones finding it rather unexciting. Early morning fog put paid to our trip today, but if the easterlies forecast for Bank Holiday Monday are not too bad, we might give it a go again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220827_143217.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1591641
Working...
X