Some better fish around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some better fish around

Oli and I went out for a session on Sunday from Amble. Conditions were almost perfect, apart from the low cloud that persisted until mid-afternoon, and a lazy swell that also flattened by mid-afternoon. But it was hot, and there was no need for outer layers which is the norm. We set off north, stopping at various reefs to gauge water clarity, and to see if the fish had moved inshore yet.

There wasn't a lot happening at Seaton and Boulmer, but it was good to see so many puffins, often with beaks full of sandeels, which was an encouraging sign. At Craster, there were more codling around of 2-3lb. Perfect pan-sized fish, though all went back this early in the day. There were also masses of very small coalies and several pout. Interestingly, the better fish were more in deeper water either sides of the reef, with mainly smaller fish coming from the top of the reef. My best codling from there tipped the scales at 5.5lb, coming in around 70 feet of water off Dunstanburgh castle. I was using frozen mackerel and frozen prawn which seemed to be more productive than the lures.

Water clarity stil wasn't great though, at around 10-12 feet, so we headed out to see if the deeper water was better. It most certainly was, with visibility down to about 20 feet. This was the depth where we started to hit the mackerel, and lots of them too, and all very big, spitting out tiny sandeels of around 2cm in length. Below them again, were clouds of coalies, sitting above the wrecks. Armed with fresh mackerel as bait, using single hook rigs we were able to penetrate the coalies and get to the cod and ling below.

The ling were still fairly small, but there were quite a few nice codling of 4-5lb sitting on the wreck. Oli had the best fish of the day that we weighed at 8.5lb.

It was a fun day out. The fishing was good, with around 20 decent-sized codling each, the weather was warm, the seas were flat calm in the afternoon, and the animal life was amazing. It was like being in a David Attenborough film. Most fascinating of all were the 6 inch long, cyclindrical jellyfish which had pulsating, multi-coloured bio-luminescent veins. Awesome!

Given the settled conditions this week, it's reasonable to expect the seas to clear inshore, bringing in the mackerel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-9913.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	1592600

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-9919.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	1592601

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230611_161657.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.8 KB ID:	1592602

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-9905.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	1592605

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-9921.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.4 KB ID:	1592604
    Last edited by My Alibi; 12-06-2023, 09:11 AM.

cracking day out..well done

Comment

.int report and great fishing

Comment

Working...
      X