An afternoon wrecking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An afternoon wrecking

The way the tides worked out on Saturday meant a late start, only leaving Amble at just about noon. Oli and I wanted to try some wrecks, and headed north. The first couple about 4 miles offshore only produced coalies and just a handful of mackerel, but that was just enough to bait the hooks and try our luck further out on some of the larger wrecks. This turned out to be a good move as it then became a case of a fish per drift for both of us, and in some cases, because the tide had slowed so much, we could manage a couple of shots over the wreck per drift.

The fish were of a reasonable size. Oli's best fish we weighed at 7lb, and he had a bunch more at around 6lb, with nothing under 2lb. I could only manage a fish of 5.5lb as my best of the day, and though they were all of a decent size, I could not keep up with his catch rate. We had between 20-30 codling off just a single wreck - we couldn't agree on the precise figure - but it was a great session.

On the way back south, we stopped at Craster reef, but the tide had dropped completely and we were motionless. That said, there were some huge mackerel around that gulped down our baits meant for cod. Then it was time to quickly stop by a few more wrecks off Dunstanburgh, and then a nice run back to base across flat calm seas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230617_152049.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1592650

Name:	IMG-0001.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1592651

Name:	IMG-0003.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1592652

Name:	IMG-0004.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1592653

good report nice snaps
    KEEP AHAD LADS IF THINGS DONT CHANGE THEY WILL STAY THE SAME

Comment

Another great report with some nice fish. Good to hear the Mackerel are getting closer as I have struggled from the beaches recently and need to hit Warkworth pier. This weekends weather looking decent as well

Keep them coming
      PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Some nice fish puttung in the miles well done

Comment

Working...
        X