Plenty of fish around 22 July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plenty of fish around 22 July

I t was a bit of a last minute decision to go out on Saturday. The forecast wasn't great, and after refuelling, Oli and I nosed out of Amble to be met by very lumpy seas, and the wind a lot fresher than forecast. The conditions were not right for heading out to the wrecks, so we opted to stay inshore, and stooged around Hauxley and Bondicarr for the first hour and a half.

The fish were there, mostly in the shallower water and kelp - 20 foot or less. On plastics, I had 10 codling, half-a-dozen coalies and 3 mackerel. Oli had fewer, but his were better specimens on his home-made lures. After a while, the seas abated a bit, so we dropped onto White Bank, just off Hadston. The seabed was carpetted with fish. Fortunately, I had half a flask full of frozen prawns as they seemed to prefer bait. It was a fish a drop. Nothing big, 3.5lb being the largest, but it was fun. Still on his lures, Oli picked up pollack to 5lb and codling to 6lb. Over the next 2 hours, I had 70 codling, half-a-dozen pollack, a dozen coalies and 3 or 4 mackerel. Everything went back.We also saw the large solitary dolphin again.

With the winds even lighter, we headed down to Cresswell. Here the rains started and the fish became harder to find. Moreover, someone had strung a net along the eastern side of the drop-off, and I lost a couple of sets of gear to it. Apart from a couple of orange surface markers, there was nothing to tell you it was there, strung out over a hundred yards or so. On the reef itself, I had another half-dozen codling, several pout and a few more coalies and mackerel. One of the small codling had a rusty old hook sticking out of its head, showing that fish can sometime survive the experience.

It was time to work our way back, and stopping at White Bank and Bondicarr brought a few more codling, giving me a tally of close to 100 fish for the day. The codling were mostly kelpies too, but being small reminded me of what fishing is usually like in late May or early June. Maybe the season is late this year? If they manage to pack on a few pounds over the next month or two, it should be a good end of season.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230722_115114.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1592842

Name:	20230722_151226.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1592843

Name:	IMG-0459.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1592844

Name:	IMG-3798.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1592845

Name:	IMG-0464.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1592846

cracking report some good sport well done

Comment

Great report and pics as usual. Good to hear there are plenty of fish about. Did Tommy go back without his carry handle
      PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Originally posted by jonny_s View Post
        Great report and pics as usual. Good to hear there are plenty of fish about. Did Tommy go back without his carry handle
        Hi Jonny,

I got the hook out of the little fellah and he swam off happily.

Comment

Originally posted by My Alibi View Post

Hi Jonny,

I got the hook out of the little fellah and he swam off happily.
          PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Another great result im ganna try wed thur fri maybe sat thats one of the pifalls of putting posts of where there are plenty fish the dreaded GILL NETTERS tight lines

Comment

Originally posted by SPEIRSY View Post
              Another great result im ganna try wed thur fri maybe sat thats one of the pifalls of putting posts of where there are plenty fish the dreaded GILL NETTERS tight lines
              You're right of course, there is that risk. Mind you, no two days are alike when it comes to fishing, so if there are any gill netters reading this, they could well be wasting their time if they try to copy where I've been.

I considered going out tomorrow, but that big northerly swell has put me off. If you do go, let us know how you get on. I like reading your posts and hope you have a lot of success.

Comment

Working...
              X