Amble Saturday 2/9/23 Cheeky Buoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amble Saturday 2/9/23 Cheeky Buoy

Headed out from Amble marina around 4.00pm on our second voyage this time trying to find some fish, first outing last week was just to get a feel for the boat. Incoming big tide was running really strong and good stiff breeze spoilt what I expected to be a flat sea.

We decided to try and find some rough ground to fish over and ended up in the Lee of Coquet Island, the north side seemed a bit more sheltered and we found ourselves a nice big long rocky bottom to drift over.

Mackerel abundant as expected and once converted into bait we started to catch a few codling. Nothing big this trip but loads around a pound and a couple to maybe 2-3 lb

We hit a patch of Pollock and for a few minutes they were like mackerel just attacking anything we dropped down, all small but good fun.

All in all we must have caught around 20 codling ( only a couple kept ) and numerous Pollock Coalies and Mackerel.

Considering we aren't targeting the wrecks yet we did ok and it was another safe and fruitful trip.

Headed back in around 7.30 so we could moor and get cleaned up before dark.

We were followed by seals on most drifts and a few returned fish were intercepted on their way back down

back out next weekend weather permitting and hope to try some lures / shads in the hope of finding some bigger pollock.

Its a steep learning curve but we are on it and climbing

Photo attached of one of my better fish, hoping for something bigger this weekend

Jonny
    PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Really great to see you out on the water Jonny, and catching fish too. It's all about learning where go, and you'll soon learn to spot the obvious spots on your plotter - the skeers, the pinnacles and the drop-offs, not forgetting the reefs.

In fact, I was out on Saturday too. Early start, absolutely glassy sea. I made it up to the Farnes, and some of the spots in-between, but the fishing was very poor. Lots of mackerel, yes, but only coalies on the wrecks, and even inshore at Newton, Beadnell, Craster very little larger than a pound. So you did very well. It was of course the highest, and lowest tide of the year, which was a gamble. Conditions were really bad on the way back, with metre swells at 5 second intervals. Certainly not what was forecast. I reckon we arrived back at the marina minutes before you, very bedraggled, and with a broken wiper arm to boot.

I'm just about packed and ready to head up to the boat now, so will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
    Adrian

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_104325.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1593106

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_104344.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1593107